Featured Cut crystal perfume bottle with collar marked Sterling

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Apr 28, 2019.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I rarely handle this type of item. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. I looked over the glass for a maker's mark, but I didn't see anything. The bottle collar is marked "Sterling - ?? - C 1571". I can't decide if the ?? is actually part of the mark, or some other mark (scrape, scratch) that has happened over the years. I tried to google the number and letter, but came up empty.

It's about 4" tall including the lid (which appears to be engraved "Jennie"), and about 3" in diameter. Is the cutting considered a pineapple pattern?

Thanks!

IMG_2491.JPG
    IMG_2497.JPG
    IMG_2494.JPG
    IMG_2495.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Simpson, Hall, Miller & Co./International Silver.

~Cheryl

3. UncleChuckTX

Thanks so much! So, the unclear mark in the center is the Knight's Head mark used sometime after 1895.

http://www.silvercollection.it/USASILSIMPSONHALL.html

I appreciate the help.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I bet that would be lovely all polished up!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

kyratango, judy and i need help like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, that poor thing needs a shine!

Aquitaine, kyratango and judy like this.
  6. UncleChuckTX

Thanks for the replies - whether to polish the silver was going to be my follow-up question.

If it's marked Sterling, it should be solid silver, correct? The nicks and scratches in the tarnish to me look like they are exposing a base metal of a different color. Like I said, I don't deal with many metal items. I don't want to damage it further.

Also - it has perfume residue inside. Should I clean that out? It has a really nice smell, but is dark and goopy in the bottom of the bottle. It could be a recent scent, or the last remnants of something from the early 1900s. ;)

judy and i need help like this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You can clean out the perfume reidue with plain old isopryl alcohol. Just pour it in & let it sit. Periodically put your finger over the hole & give it a good shake. You may have to dump out the alcohol & put in fresh if there is a lot of residue.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Marked "sterling" by a reputable maker means it is solid silver. It is seriously tarnished, true, but the lighter color is simply "newer" tarnish in places where something rubbed off the "older" tarnish. Definitely not "base metal" as would be the case on plated wares. It's also very dirty so it needs to be soaked in soapy water (Dawn or a similar grease-cutting liquid dish soap) before you attempt to use silver polish to remove the tarnish layers. It's going to take a lot of elbow grease to remove.

judy, dgbjwc, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  9. UncleChuckTX

Thank you both! I didn't know heavily tarnished silver needs a presoak - that's a good tip.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Alcohol will evaporate on its own, but water leaves moisture which is sometimes very difficult to get out of things like perfume bottles.

Bakersgma's tip is a good one. The pre-cleaning will get rid of some of the heavy tarnish & will make it easier to clean with a good silver polish. Look at this thread to see what some elbow grease & a little polishing time can do for a piece of silver.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/heres-what-i-found-this-weekend.36673/

11. UncleChuckTX

Since the silver is just on the neck of the bottle, I'm hoping I can invert it in a shallow dish of soapy water. If it won't sit upright, I'll soak the whole bottle. I've had luck with other things using an alcohol rinse to help evaporate water inside. I was so happy to learn that trick from you folks. I'm always picking up thin-necked art glass decanters. It usually works like a charm on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted