Featured Date this figurine, if you can ;)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Can you date this lovely lady?

1. pre 1850

2. 1851-1875

3. 1876-1900

4. 1901-1925

5. 1926-1950

6. Post 1950

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And a fake passport.;)

rhiwfield and Bakersgma like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Most likely. Illegal alien?

Christmasjoy and rhiwfield like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

But a pretty one.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wonder if she should be granted asylum....

5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I wish I COULD date this young lady.......she reminds me of my pre-teen days and the languid, soingé ladies of wealth and fashion that were my stuff of day dreams...........

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am just guessing on this one.

7. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Guesses are a distillation of knowledge and experience and valuable for that reason. It was my initial guess that made me decide to post this ;)

8. Cardon

Cardon Active Member

I am taking a wild guess here. Judging from the hair style and dress style. Looking forward to hearing how wrong I am tomorrow.

rhiwfield and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Hair-do, shoes, socks, short dress, dress pattern, sleeves .. Joy.

rhiwfield likes this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

This is a tough one because although her clothing looks more modern her face looks very old-fashioned .. Joy.

Any Jewelry and rhiwfield like this.
  11. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Guessed - based on hairstyle, collar and length of dress ... and assuming it was made contemporary to the style depicted.

12. rhiwfield

I'll post the backstamp 4pm London time.

In the meantime here is the lovely lady's legless lad :)

[​IMG]

pearlsnblume, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  13. rhiwfield

And the reveal of the bookends of the lovely lady and the legless lad is.....

[​IMG]

..........the impressed mark below:

[​IMG]

which PM&M have as Grafenthal image 1.06 for 1879-1886.

Are they right?

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I had done the usual research (can't help myself) when you first posted this and when I found the same figure with this type of mark I decided it didn't make sense using the mark information so was waiting to see your mark.

The marks on Chris's page don't have "Germany". I'm thinking Chris might be able to shed some light on this. @Chris Marshall

15. rhiwfield

Thank you SiS, like many others I really rate the site and would love to have clarification

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I would...
    She's cute! ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

This only amplifies the anomalies I thought of when I first looked at this piece...............the detailed "floor" speaks of early, the clothing, about 60 years later (unless she is supposed to be in her shift, but still the ankle bracelet points to the 20s), the chair design could be anywhere from 1890 to 1940, though the fringe screams 1900-1920, and the upholstery pattern appears to be 1900 to 1930.
    The male figurine is a total mishmash so............bottom line on my part (and I KNOW nothing about this sort of thing) had I had it in hand is 1950's Japan................

shows what i know, huh?

18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I had rather reached the same conclusion on the date as our dear Curmudgeon for most of the same reasons. When the male figurine appeared it rather reinforced my opinion since I couldn't imagine anything that impractical being produced before 1950. I had figured a Continental post 1950 piece created purely for decorative purposes. I should have known the Germans especially Porzellanfabrik Unger, Schneider & Cie and maybe Schafer Vater would produce something like this.
    Don

19. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

I agree with evelynb30

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. Her hair and shoes are all ttoally wrong for the 1880s, as is her face. I've seen that runny lustre treatment on pieces that were just pre and just post WW2. I'll be interested to see what Chris thinks - I still think this is late 20s/30s or a rehash.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and rhiwfield like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted