Featured Date this figurine, if you can ;)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Can you date this lovely lady?

1. pre 1850

2. 1851-1875

3. 1876-1900

4. 1901-1925

5. 1926-1950

6. Post 1950

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Despite the range of date estimates, I am not surprised that nobody went for the pre 1850 slot :)

The conflicting pointers to age are why this was posted!

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and dgbjwc like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I thought she was 1980s instead of 1920s, and frankly still think they're later rather than earlier. The costumes and the like are from the 20s, but the colors and glazes are all post-War. The glaze on the chair is something I associate with bad 80s Japanese ceramics, so if they're German I guess they could be earlier.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was thinking 1920s-30s. Although I noticed the flapper style, I was more interested in her face, and the way the eyes and lips were done. They spoke to me as German or Japan. The poor quality of hands is what made me think possibly later side/Japan. However, her face was to nicely done.

judy, Christmasjoy and rhiwfield like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

While waiting for Chris to stop by, I wonder if this portion of his page explains this mark. I assume that "Germany" could have been added to satisfy export regulations.

"[4] : V.E.B. Porzellanfiguren Gräfenthal (1951 until 1972)
    The company was nationalized 1951 and belonged to the ⇒V.E.B. Porzellanfiguren Gräfenthal combine together with the ⇒Carl Scheidig K.G.. The group did not use any own marks but continued to use the normal factory versions even if one can find a few items that show the name as a standalone addition to the regular factory mark. It should be noted that during the 1960s the company also reissued many series based on old molds; these remakes do not show additional marks but simply carry the original old marks that were included in the mold, therefore one should compare the state of glazing and the overall color scheme used to verify an item.

Even if the factory itself was at that point totally run down, only minor modifications were made so that it could at least continue operation. The V.E.B. Porzellanfiguren Gräfenthal was dissolved in 1972 and the defunct factory of Carl Schneiders Erben was finally closed 1973 after finishing the last figurines still made in 1972."

Christmasjoy and rhiwfield like this.
  5. rhiwfield

SIS, if the mark was in the mold, then the design is still c1880 if the impressed mark is correct for that time

If this was a post WWII item then I would think that any impressed addition of Germany would be GDR instead, implying that Germany was part of the original impression or that this is a pre WWII item.

My brain is starting to hurt!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I know, my brain hurts too:inpain:. None of it seems to make much sense.

rhiwfield likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I see what you all are saying about the mark being 1880s.

However, this has "Germany" marked on it. Meaning it was probably made for export. Into US?
    That places the mark at 1890 to 1921 when the "Made in" was required.

The mark shown in 1-06 on Chris' site does not reference "Germany" in the mark.

rhiwfield likes this.
  8. rhiwfield

That makes sense to me, and would allow for this to be c1920 which would be an acceptable stylistic fit.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen "East German" stuff with simply Germany on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted