Depression Glass book

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by rknarr2, Jan 26, 2020.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    What depression glass book does a lot of you antiquers use to look up depression glass and prices in? I have a lot of boxes of depression glass to look up. Thank you. Rob

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The collectors books by Gene Florence are excellent for depression glass.
    greg

Sandra likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Is depression glass still a "thing" ? I see scads of it in thrifts .

Fid likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I sell quite a bit of depression and elegant glass at shows. Pink sells well for me. I can’t ask what it was selling for 20 years ago, but then I try to buy it cheap ;)

Fid, clutteredcloset49 and Sandra like this.
  5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Depression Glass prices are way down from what is listed in the most recent books. I would use eBay sold listings as a guide for current prices. The books would be helpful for Identifying patterns if you don't know them. Once in awhile , you will run across a rare Piece that will sell well (Pink Iris Vase comes to mind), I started out dealing in depression glass, that was when it was hot......I sold a complete set of Manhattan and Cobalt Moderntone to a dealer to get the down payment for my first house.

Darkwing Manor, Fid and Sandra like this.
  6. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Gene Florence is a pretty darn good reference. I have about 20 different books, and still get stumped sometimes. Pink and green seem pretty steady here in the midwest.

Fid and Sandra like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Anybody in the Sacramento area?
    The International Depression Glass group is holding a show at the Scottish Rite Temple on Feb 1 & 2. No longer just Depression Glass.
    But a nice little show if you have time.

8. rknarr2

ok, I will do a search for The Collectors Books by Gene Florence

9. rknarr2

It does not sound like it is, but my mom has 125 different sized boxes full of depression glass as well as other glass wares wrapped in newspapers that are stacked up like a wall between my 2 car garage. You probably are right but I'm going to try to sell and you can tell me you told me so and mostly likely more waste of my time but I am just not ready to give it away to thrifts.

10. rknarr2

I might actually have a pink iris vase but I will not swear to it. Sounds like I may have problems selling depression glass in a low market. I will need the book to help me identify patterns. That is most likely the way I will sell it as basement low prices on ebay. Glad to hear you were able to get a down payment for your first house selling it to a dealer.

11. rknarr2

Thank you for the information. Rob

12. rknarr2

I will not be going but thank you for the information. Rob

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  13. rknarr2

Is the 19th edition the newest edition. Thank you. Rob

14. Bdigger

you can always post a pattern here and I'm sure we will be able to ID it for you. Depression glass prices are down......but not out. There are still collectors looking for it. It won't bring what it did 20 years ago.......but it will sell. I would not thrift it, I still have quite a bit that I am holding on to, just in case it comes back. ( it seems to run in 30 year cycles) .

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  15. Bdigger

Harder to find items do well......Pitchers.....Butters with lids......sugars with lids...Shakers ....Depends a LOT on the pattern and color. Pink being most popular I think. and it has to be in very good condition.....no chips , scratches or damage.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

What year is it?
    Collector Books stopped printing - I think it was 2010.
    Florence put a book out just about every year.

17. rknarr2

I don't think this is a pink iris vase as I thought I had. Oops for mistake. Rob
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/pink-ribbed-fluted-vase.39448/

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    you heard what's keeping the value, pink and green; so with 125 boxes make a triage by color, metal handles and lids etc. and list the rest for one $ or in lots. most people look at all the listed stuff when they realize that you sell a big collection or heritage.
    I use Warman's as a yearly overview for what might become hot and what goes completely down the drainpipe. and for something to look at and read during Christmas time instead of looking Lord Fontleroy for the umpteenth time.:)

19. rknarr2

Jul 10, 2009

20. clutteredcloset49

There might be one more edition afterwards.
    What are they asking?
    A lot of the old glass books are showing up at flea markets and garage sales.
    Often for $1-$5.

Florence is notorious for leaving info out and saying see such and such edition. He was out to sell books. However, his books are filled with a lot of information

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted