Featured Diamond Ring c. 1915

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by DBinSV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

DB is going to give it to his niece anyway.
    CZ was first produced commercially in the 1970s, so unlikely this is it.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

~~~~~~~
    There is a WELL KNOWN Jewelry store in the city I'm near, known as just about the best in the city, and I refused to let them appraise a diamond ring I was given by my Mom, because they refused to let me watch them do the appraisal!!!!! To ME.....that was a NO NO!!!! I have "trust" issues, I guess, but see nothing wrong with watching the appraisal process!! Which I DID watch with another terrific Certified Appraiser! Make sure they are a Certified Appraiser too!!! Yes, it costs, but I think you'll find it under about $500. But get your estimate first! Good Luck!!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that was not my point........

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You should find somebody who has been through a certified gemologist program. There are different levels of credentials for these people. The American Gem Society has a finding aid available by location. I believe this will find people with credentials who are also members of that Society, so might not find everybody:

http://www.americangemsociety.org/

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Actually, if you look here you will find that site and also some others where you can find resources. When I looked at the small city in Iowa where I live, and looked in a hundred mile radius on that first site I posted, it only found two in the Des Moines area. And I'm pretty sure that there is one local in the area where I live that didn't show up. So try multiple sources if you don't find anything.

https://www.gia.edu/library-appraisal-associations

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if you ever get sick of messing with it, there's always the giveaway section here. At least three of us wouldn't mind giving it house room.(LOL)

7. DavidC

DavidC Member

Absolutely agreed. Don't spend money when you don't have to. Its clearly 1920-30 and clearly over 1CT. If its for your niece and sparkles like a diamond then its a fantastic thing and always will be. She can appraise it in 50 years if she wants. Best D

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  8. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

It's a lovely piece. Appraise it or not, but do tell her what you can about your Grandmother, and if you have access to a photo of your grandmother, you can make it more special by adding a copy of the photo as well. I received my GM's engagement ring (1920's), along with a copy of the wedding announcement. The ring is one of my most cherished pieces.

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  9. komokwa

Or because she's not aware of it's value.....& came from a nice uncle....she loses track of it...or sells it for a song !!!

10. DavidC

DavidC Member

Point well said. Tell her! Its a fabulous thing........ Never Sell!

kyratango likes this.
  11. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

First, I would get it appraised, by a well known REPUTABLE appraiser. If you are giving it away, the recipient should know the gravity of the item and your generosity. Looks like a mine cut mounted in platinum from the picture, and its stunning. Platinum was a go to metal in those days. Opinion aside, get it checked out by a trustworthy professional.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If you are giving it to your daughter, just give it to her. If she doesn't like it let her do the appraisal.
    greg

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And THAT is my fear in giving some "STUFF" to nieces & nephews.....especially since most of them are usually strapped for cash anyway!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: @DBinSV, your ring is beautiful and in a beautiful setting!! I'd at least get it appraised and let her know.....maybe let her decide!

kyratango likes this.
  14. komokwa

Daughter.......much different than a Niece...or Nephew....!!!!

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted