Featured DID I FIND AN ORIGINAL JOHN EMMS PAINTING AT THRIFT STORE TODAY??!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 11, 2019.

1. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Aaroncab - I agree that it is a nice oil painting & lovely framing. Hope Jouneymagazine will have a good out-come with it. I'm just not convinced that it is an authentic Emms painting and that will make the difference between on ok sales price and a WOW I hit the jackpot one. Really needs to be seen in person by a professional.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

One thing in its favor... The frame is much later than the painting. I'd think -- may be wrong -- that if someone was intent on deceiving, they would have chosen a period frame.

Debora

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Never met a dog he didn't like (to paint.)

Debora

6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks I need help

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you Journey. Keep us posted!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, good luck with this.

Debora

9. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you guys - I just posted (final one!) another antique - 1908 - painting I got at the thrift store today AND from same shop as this one, that I am hoping is by a known artist but I can't make out their name.
    With the old & unusual that I like - I'd be in trouble without this forum!

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful oil painting! :cat:

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I'd say a copy a company that sells prints, frames, and paintings is more decorative paintings for people's home. That label is a huge red flag.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  12. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The label on the back says "art shop" probably sold brushes, paper, etc. They wouldn't have a painting like this in their shop. That's like me going to hobby lobby and seeing a original Joan Miro hanging on the wall. Most likely a fake.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  13. antidiem

This is of NO CONCERN to me. I've had art store businesses like Michaels, Ben Franklin's, etc., frame beautiful and original paintings for me many times in the past. And they put their cheesy label on the back every time. I haven't bothered to remove it ever either. But that doesn't mean my paintings were prints or cheap knockoffs. Just means I had it framed at a frame shop that sold brushes and other art materials.

14. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Again, I have no opinion on the authenticity of the painting but as has been noted, the frame is from a different period than the painting (assuming it's real) - the frame could have been purchased at this store and paired with the painting, thus the label having nothing to do with the painting itself. It's within the realm of possibility.

judy, Pat P and antidiem like this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

"Art shop" doesn't necessarily mean an art supply store and dealers do sometimes put their own label on original works for sale. So I don't think it's necessarily a fake.

Christmasjoy, judy and antidiem like this.
  16. antidiem

As both paintings were found same day at same thrift, I believe they came from same owner who probably framed their collected oil paintings at the same place because they liked the frame selection or other simple explanation.

I don't necessarily think these were ever sold out of the frame shop.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but they could have been !

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  18. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

19. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The other painting he listed was by an amateur artist! Lacks a lot of detail. Look at the river, the rocks, the trees! Some of the tree branches just fade off. Which is another concern since both paintings have the same labels. I hear what your saying that it could of been framed their but it also says on the label "sells prints and paintings" the other painting he posted was very amateur so having a amateur artwork with the same label on the back as a artwork by a listed artist is a red flag to me. I'd still have it looked at but wouldn't get my hopes up

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  20. antidiem

Rink28, how many oil paintings have you had framed at professional frame shops?

I've used both types of shops to frame all types of paintings, including oil paintings.

I agree the water and rocks are not done by the same artist and that part of that painting is not as gifted as the rest, but it's not a poorly done painting. The hound dog is the better painting, done by a more professional artist. I think I will have to give up to try to explain this to you now...

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted