Featured DID I FIND AN ORIGINAL JOHN EMMS PAINTING AT THRIFT STORE TODAY??!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Which is a pretty good description of why I have never been crazy about Cezanne.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hey I just noticed that it has a name underneath the dog - Ryan! The one other painting of a dog like mine someone showed the link to was named Gabriel; maybe I can find this painting's history (or some of it) with the dog's name!
    Once again I want to thank everyone for all the info, suggestions, guesses (lol) & encouragement on this!

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just more evidence that it might be the 'real deal' Journey.

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Broad assumption on my part here: he was such a prolific painter that I suspect a lot of his works stayed in the hands of everyday people. The ones you'll find on the internet are the ones that have ended up in auction houses, thus leaving a 'trail' to follow.

5. journeymagazine

Didn't find a painting with Ryan by Emms, but did find this page while looking; he was prolific yes (see 3 similar paintings he did of a boy shepherd playing a flute with his 2 dogs), but he was also a great artist (My two favorites are the 3 dogs relaxing together; reminds me of my 3 when they all decide to sleep in my bed with me! Plus the one of the dog holding the donkey's reins waiting for the rider(small donkey has to have a small boy rider!) so they can start their trip - is really good!):
    http://www.bordercolliemuseum.org/Emms-John/Emms-John.html

Christmasjoy and wiscbirddog like this.
  6. QJS

QJS New Member

Hi.
    We have several pieces by John Emms in the family. How thickly is the paint applied ? Is the background applied more sparingly ? as he never wasted paint on the background detail. As far as I am aware all his work was in oil on course canvas or paper in pencil. Have you any close ups that show the hair , especially on the ears, tail and feet, taken at an angle of 50/60 degrees to the surface. The inner framing looks original , are you sure the backing board has not been glued to an original canvas in earlier renovation?
    However, no matter what the outcome from a distance it looks as if it could be one of his. Allot of his works vary in quality and consistency depending on his mood. I personally like his work and his works were not all just portraits.

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  7. JNO EMMS fan

JNO EMMS fan New Member

Happened upon your thread. I've seen hundreds if not a thousand John Emms paintings and my opinion is that with 99.98% probability yours is the real deal. Let me know if you are still trying to authenticate it, find a market for it, or clean it up. Congratulations - it's really a wonderful picture!

antidiem, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  8. statcat

statcat Active Member

yeah I agree it does look very real to me, congratulations. I wish I had that much luck but I never seem to.

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

This thread needs an update @journeymagazine, enquiring minds want to know. :)

10. journeymagazine

I still have it - it's hanging on a wall in my house. I had a estate buyer come to one of our estate sales but they couldn't tell either!

bluumz and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted