Featured Do you write your name in books?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ex Libris, May 9, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So do I.:sour: But now I do, so future bookstealers or borrowers who never return books, beware!

Ex Libris, Bronwen and Darkwing Manor like this.
  2. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Well....um....that was cheery :nailbiting:

3. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Right? Never mess with a librarian!
    librarian2.jpg

4. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

Call me crazy, but i like owner marks in books, even if they are much later then the books themselves.

Here are some more examples:

DSCF0363.JPG DSCF5005.JPG SAM_0899.JPG $_85 (3).JPG SAM_0150.JPG
    this is Maria Aldegonda Smits later in her life

EMT1UyrXUAIM6c4.png

Even more on my Flickr page

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Love this!
    Turns out there is a book about medieval book curses: Anathema, Medieval Scribes and the History of Book Curses by Marc Drogin, published in 1983. Went looking for a copy... :wideyed:
    Can't find one for under $500. Something to look out for in the thrifts, LOL!

6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

smallaxe, Any Jewelry and Ex Libris like this.
  7. Ex Libris

Those prices are insane!

If you are interested in Medieval books, these blogs are really interesting to read:

https://medievalbooks.nl/

Darkwing Manor and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Ex Libris

Darkwing Manor and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this interesting topic. I wish I had some books old enough to have interesting bookplates/notations. Several identical unused bookplates have been handed down from my wife's great great grandfather, but, unfortunately, none of the books he attached them to. It's the coat of arms style, but American, so kind of semi (or wholly) made up arms.
    The Atlas Obscura link was also quite interesting.

Darkwing Manor and Ex Libris like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't put my name in books. I might if I had a more elegant hand, or an interesting ex-libris plate. Those prints are collectible in their own right, and some are very nice.

This is the ex-libris to the Tres Riche Heures of Jean Duc de Berry written by the duke's secretary, Jean Flamel:
    zzz.jpeg

I designed my own ex-libris but was never sufficiently satisfied to put it to use. (I have several developmental versions of it, one of which is dated 1975.)
    zza.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I used to but not any more. I also don't use bookplates any more.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to emboss my name on page 51 of a book. The book looked fine but I knew where to look for my stamp.
    greg

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Some people used blind stamps - like a notary public might use. That's been going on for hundreds of years as well. Certainly makes an indelible mark.

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that modern Jesuit piece of paper glued over the most probably older than the rest of the book's inner cover is a crime.

Ex Libris likes this.
  15. Ex Libris

Yes, the handwritten parchment is medieval (I haven't identified it yet, but it is about Pantaleonis). The book plate is ugly, I agree, but it adds to the provenance of the book itself in my opinion. It belonged to a Jesuit Library in Culemborg (the Netherlands) once during it's life. In Culemborg was a seminary (priest school) during the 19th and first half of the 20th century.

KDC01_TF1A27514_U.JPG

Darkwing Manor, Any Jewelry and Fid like this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

and then came their second awakening and they threweth away their cowls and bought their first Jeans and all the brethren opened the Elvis-Presley-Museum nearby . and that was the end of the liberation of the Netherlands by the US...

17. I did the same thing in the 70's....but unfortunately I used mine for around 6 months before realized what I was doing was not good for the Books. I think the "Light Pencil" would have been a better choice.

18. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Normally I don't but I did add my name and the date of acquisition to a book purchased recently. It was an old history book that had apparently changed hands several times in its existence and each of its owners had inscribed their names and when they purchased, were gifted it. So I added my own name, date, and a note that I had purchased it at an estate auction in "town, state".

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted