Featured Does Anyone Know Who Made These Antique Art Glass Enameled Perfume Atomizer Bottles?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SYNCHRONCITY, May 7, 2020.

1. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

That is helpful info. So many boxes like this were listed on the internet and a lot of them said boulle. I had no idea what kind of wood style this was and your comment helped me.

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

And all I do is save the listing, formerly on paper, now as a pdf. You are a virtuous woman.

3. SYNCHRONCITY

I do that too, lol. I have a stack of papers over a foot tall with photos and descriptions of each item, what I paid for them, their value etc... and put photos of all of my antiques on Pinterest in albums too, lol. You gave me a good idea about the PDFs, lol. I am a little too overly thorough and neurotic if you know what I mean ;):D

komokwa, KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Lovely Bottles!
    Did you see your other thread? You’ve gotten a comment from another relative of Charles Moe.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have 4 large, bulging, 3 ring binders, somewhat organized. A standard eBay listing page used to have a 'print this page' option that made it easier to make a hard copy. Now I 'print' to file & save a pic or 2.

6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate that he doesn't support your interests!:mad:
    I think your collection is stunning and important. Everyone here agrees with me, as you can see.
    Now I'm running off to put on some perfume..........

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bears: no, not a collector. The one in my name was this fine fellow:

Bear-small.jpg

Fid, SYNCHRONCITY, Bronwen and 8 others like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

1. When you get something new. Don't put it out right away. Put it in the closet for a few months (start a box so that you know where you put it). After a while put it out and when he comments that you have something new. Tell him, "No, I've had that for a while now." - You won't be lying. And he'll start to question his sanity.

2. Tell him you paid $10 for the bottle, you could sell it for $40 or more. (Many of the bottles you are showing have a high value) If he put $10 in the bank could he get $30 return of interest in just a few months?
    If he's considering throwing them out, he should know how much he is throwing away.
    My son told me he was going to get a dumpster when I died. A lot of things in my house are now priced, so he will know how much money he is dumping.:smuggrin:

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I miss seeing him in your avatar.
    If it doesn't hurt too much, you should put him back.

10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Sweet baby. I love that look. Thanks for sharing him.

11. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

What a gorgeous fur baby!

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

What an amazing collection you have. Enjoy the wonders of it all.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I collected glass bottles as a teen......but Mom.....well, Mom saw junk to throw out !! But she was my mother...not my Husband !!
    Your husband better learn to accept your desire to be around pretty things that you enjoy...& that have value.....or we're gonna come over there and straighten him out !
    We have a 12 step program going on right here on this site ........
    1. Collect what you love & what to enjoy being around. Buy the best you can afford. Display properly.
    2. through 12. , ................ REPEAT !!!!!!!! :wideyed::wideyed::woot::woot:..;)

It's the wood box that has me all tingly ....... I luv wood, & boxes.....but more in this vein.....& when I say vein..... it's in the blood !!

P1010060.JPG

14. komokwa

do you have any idea just how many folks show up here saying....I have this thing from my relatives, who've passed away.....& I know nothing about it !!
    This will not be your legacy !!! Good on you !!

15. komokwa

That is one stellar cat !
    & a great photo !!

Damn......now I want to rough house with a cat like that & then brush him....and give him a good neck scritchy scratch !!!

Normally, I'd throw up Puss-Cat's photo......but no.....that cat deserves his space all to himself !!!! :happy::happy::happy:

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

He was a splendid fellow. And rather superior, with a strong sense of his innate worth: rough housing, he'd have rather looked down that elegant nose at. Head rubbing, otoh, was encouraged. Fur like silk, but also very thick, he was mostly Norwegian Forest. It doesn't show well in that photo, but his tail was enormous.

I think I did try putting him back up, but it didn't work - I'll have another go.

17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Your pink bottle is done in a fired-on color that was called Old Rose & is model number A-52. It was shown in the 1928 DeVilbiss catalog. I don't know who they bought the bottle from, but it was likely an American maker.

Your Topaz bottle with the dauber was made by Cambridge & is shown in the 1925 catalog. Its model number was DF-3.

Like DeVilbiss other makers made the hardware & then bought their bottles from a variety of companies in many different counties. Although the Bohemian countries made many of the enameled bottles, other countries also made them. It is unlikely that you will be able to positively ID the maker unless you happen to find one with an original label of some kind.

On the bottom shelf the Mother of Pearl should be marked Le Kid & was made by Marcel Franke. The little chest next to it was sold at Vantine's. Here is a little background on them.

http://c-j-l-c.org/portfolio/the-vi...ental-goods-store-and-the-global-marketplace/

The primary focus of my collection is the DeVilbiss Company & since they sold perfume bottles from c.1907 through c.1968 there are more than enough bottles to hunt. I do also collect the Czechoslovakian cut crystal ones & the filigree miniature bottles mainly from the 1920's to the 1940's.

I don't know what books you have, but one that deals a lot with the French atomizers is The Perfume Atomizer An Object with Atmosphere by Tirza True Latimer.

There is a wonderful book about the DeVilbiss bottles, but I will warn you it is on the pricey side. It is called DeVilbiss Perfume Bottles and their glass company suppliers 1907 to 1968 by Marti DeGraaf & Toby Mack.

I am glad you enjoyed looking through the IPBA Virtual Museum. I am proud to say that a few of the bottles shown in the DeVilbiss category reside in my cabinets.

18. SYNCHRONCITY

Thanks so much for informing me. I just noticed I have a lot of alerts that I haven't had a chance to read. I haven't been around this site for a while because my computer crashed and I just got a new one. I have a hard time reading my messages on my cell phone so I am glad I got a new computer. Heading over to check what was said now....

19. SYNCHRONCITY

Oh wow! Thanks for this info. I don't have the DeVilbiss book yet. I am waiting to buy it when I can find it for less as it is an expensive book. I do happen to have The Perfume Atomizer An Object with Atmosphere by Tirza True Latimer and I LOVE that book. I made friends with a wonderully kind lady in Texas who sells perfume atomizer replacement parts on ebay/etsy and she sent me that book for free along with a bunch of other perfume reference books that she had doubles of as a gift. There are so many nice people in this world :joyful:.

If you are ever looking to buy replacement bulbs and tubes for your bottles, I highly recommend her. Her ebay user name is gidgetpup5 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Perfum...var=413895734478&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The Vantines bottle box is so interesting. At first I didn't know it was a Vantines, because my bottles were unmarked and then one day I saw the same box being sold on ebay with the bottles having the Vantines logo on them. When I looked it up I read that in the late 1920's Arnold Rothstein the bootlegger/gangster bought the Vantine's business from the original owner.

I also happen to have a Marcel Franck Le Kid travel atomizer bottle collecting fetish. My goal is to have them in every design that was made. So far I only have 3 (two are mother of pearl and the other one is a tortoiseshell design. I won the tortoiseshell one on ebay yesterday so I am waiting for it to arrive. I just got a 2 toned color mother of pearl one that arrived from ebay today that has it's original box and was never used. The graphics on the box are amazing!

Could you show us some of the pictures of your collection? I would love to see them!! The more pictures, the better. I need to see some eye candy ;):happy:

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  20. SYNCHRONCITY

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink, lol. The only thing he likes seems to approve of is my antique enameled Moser glass. For some reason he has an eye for Bohemian glass and the only thing he complements is the Bohemian glass that is taking over my house. Everything else he thinks belongs in the garbage, especially my antique German and French bisque doll collection which he calls "creepy" lol.

Bronwen, komokwa and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted