Featured ebay costume jewelry sold prices - are these for real?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 30, 2019.

1. carolgal

carolgal Well-Known Member

Lucite is very popular at the moment with the 'cool' 30's MCM urban crowd in Europe, recycling thing. We sell Lucite clocks much faster than we can get them.

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm STILL trying to decide if I want to try selling anything online or not.....if so, have to get up the nerve first to take the plunge!!! Not that there's a TON, but it would be nice to eliminate some of it!!!! From what I see, some of you ship out of the US, so after shipping costs, is there anything still left!!!? Beginning to sound like a can of worms I'm not sure I want to open:joyful::eek::rolleyes:

3. carolgal

You don't pay shipping. Personal experience here, I have bought in the US but our customs slap on a big lump always so I don't anymore. The united States of Europe trying to do what Trump talks about., recently state tax is adding to costs for buyers in the US too. 60% of my buyers are Americans so we shall see. But we sell all over the world. I would advise you not. To Europe.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Aqui, you have to make sure your shipping costs are covering the postage, handling, packing materials, insurance (if you get extra) boxes, and so on. There is money left over, buyer pays for shipping, but you definitely need to make sure you are not underestimating the cost to ship and what your item would sell for. The total should leave you with a decent profit not a few cents. I do not do free shipping unless the item was darn cheap when I bought it and my mark up is very high and the item is light.

Etsy has a price your postage tool which makes it easy to figure out how much it costs to ship in various ways, priority, media mail, first class etc so you can put it in your listing. Maybe eboo does too.

I do not ship outside of the USA. I know many do, but it is not for me.
    Much good luck.

5. carolgal

In the beginning we did all that, nearly drove ourselves mad factoring labour costs etc , petrol to post, time to post etc. Jaysus!!!

We dont do any of that now. We settled on what income we needed from it and as long as we get that we are happy. We love what we do, endlessly interesting and thats good enough for us.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. carolgal

Don't overthink it. Start with the US and when you are comfortable with the mechanics of it, have a little experiment outside. It is scary, Life is scary, regrets are scary, adventures are scary.......It's just a feeling...it passes....Get support, one step at a time and Jump.......:happy:

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

click on members...and best answer....a bunch of us have em.....only Anund has 2.

kyratango, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you!!! That does help!!!

9. carolgal

I sold a gorgous wooden Madonna to New Jersey while I was typing...that wasn't a bit scary. Your first sale is very WOW and I have found Americans great customers, no problems at all. Carpe omnia! Good luck with whatever you do, it will be right for you:joyful:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you Darkwing.:happy:
    I know, but it only shows a few members who have 'Best Answers'. Darkwing just said she gave me a number, and I know King did too when he was still here, he told me. It is just a mystery to me.:confused:

kyratango and carolgal like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've given out several too/....but not on my threads....& they never seemed to show that big green box.......t'is a mystery..

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Okay - here are some pictures. Unfortunately, the earrings that I have that are the type that I linked to on ebay, are still at the store. I will bring those home tomorrow and take some photos. Meanwhile, the first lot are all pierced earrings, I'm going to say from the 70s or 80s, either thin metal, plastic, or in the case of the blue and pink monstrosities, foam.

batch_DSCN0588.JPG

batch_DSCN0591.JPG

batch_DSCN0592.JPG

The next lot are clips, except for the last one on the right, which is pierced. Again, metal or plastic.

batch_DSCN0594.JPG

batch_DSCN0596.JPG

batch_DSCN0597.JPG

The next photos are just some of my cluster clip ons, other clip ons, metal enamel flower pins, cheap brooches (the others still at the store), and the remnants of my vintage multi-strand plastic/glass/etc. necklaces.
    batch_DSCN0598.JPG

batch_DSCN0599.JPG

batch_DSCN0601.JPG

batch_DSCN0602.JPG

I also still have maybe 100 chunky necklaces from the 80s and 90s at the store, as well as more earrings, bracelets, etc.

A disclaimer - most of this stuff I got at cleanouts, so please don't judge my buying sense. I do buy some nicer stuff, but I find buyers for it quickly.

Also, I just took pictures of a small % of what I brought home.

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Those are almost all screaming 1980s to me. I'm certain I own several of them.

Don't judge me because I bought them to wear. It was the eighties. :woot:

EDIT TO ADD: And while I think the ebay ones were ridiculously priced, they are several steps above these. Said with love.

14. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The first three in the second picture. "Dazzle on the dance floor with these brightly colored dangles made from space age plastics or space age materials."
    The next two in the second picture. "Picture yourself at the pool with these sophisticated bright triangles of color made from the lightest plastics."
    The last one in the second picture. "Teal and silver create a harmonious blend to make a charming compliment to that certain outfit."
    The third picture - the first one. "Made for a DIVA to wear dancing."
    Third picture - the middle four. "Bring your outfit alive with these sparkly and fun color combinations."
    The third picture - The last one. "Royal blue that is fit for any occasion."

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Nice photos Book. I wish I could help but I would not offer advice on what is what. Wait for the experts.

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. Bookahtoo

Oh, absolutely! I agree - but I really do have some like that! :)

OMG kiko - I will use all of these, with your permission, if I decide to sell any of them.

17. KikoBlueEyes

The fifth picture - first one. "Whispery petals caress the muted pink and green surface, which is made bold by the gold tone inner ring and matching ear piece."
    The fifth picture - the second one. "Mysterious materials give the glow of stone for a perfect accent to that sparkly top you have in your closet."
    The fifth picture - gold cornucopias. "Bejewel your ears with these symbols of plenty. Simulated sapphires, rubies and diamonds flow out of a gold toned horn
    of plenty making you plenty beautiful."
    The fifth picture - white dangles. "Simple and sweet white dangles that are perfect for a special occasion."
    The fifth picture - mosaic pearl clips. "Every color of the rainbow rim the inner pearls of these earrings. Match any outfit with these splendid, bold earrings."

judy, kyratango and carolgal like this.
  18. Bookahtoo

Some of my necklaces, cheap, but I love them:

batch_DSCN0607.JPG

19. KikoBlueEyes

Yours to have. I working my way through to give you some ideas.

20. Bookahtoo

Man, you are good! But what if someone buys them, receives them, and realizes how damn ugly they are? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted