Featured ebay costume jewelry sold prices - are these for real?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 30, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

If you don't tell them, they won't know. :D:D:D:D:D:D

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Okay, seriously. What is going on with messages... I swear when I first looked at your post it ended before "The next photos are just some of my cluster clip ons,"...

I think the big flower pins may have missed their peak selling price. As mentioned here recently, I sold all mine when the fashion was to hot glue/destroy a bunch of flower pins together to make a bridal bouquet. :hilarious:

There are some pieces in there that would have once had a following, but I'm not a seller so I have no idea what is still sought.

batch_DSCN0601.jpg

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Those old cluster clip earrings are used in jeweled wedding bouquets. I also saw a white wooden mirror with them glued around the inside perimeter.

kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The sixth picture: "Brilliant blue fretwork make these dangles perfect for chillin with friends."
    The sixth picture: "Cognac colored beads are topped with a cluster of tiny golden bubbles that will make your ears shimmer"
    The sixth picture: "Fan in the good feng shui with these oriental style earrings."
    The sixth picture: This last pair I couldn't see well enough to describe.
    After that I couldn't tell what I was looking at to help. I know you have a lot, but I believe there is a market for these things. So no matter what you decide to sell singly or in lots, I would be glad to help.

Figtree3 and carolgal like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Thank you kiko - I wish I the earrings were worthy of your descriptions! :shy:;)

jivvy - if I take a photo of all of my "decent" but not awesome clips and screw ons, will you help me pick out anything I shouldn't just throw into a lot?

kyratango likes this.
  6. Jivvy

I am happy to -- with the caveat that there are others here who are way way more experienced (and current) than I am.

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Bookahtoo

Thanks jivvy.
    Well the earrings aren't current either. :p:D

kyratango, Jivvy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you @pearlsnblume ....you and @carolgal have given me a lot to think about!!! To try getting that "toe" wet or not!!!:joyful::joyful: Maybe when I get back I need to sit down and see just how much stuff I have to gather up to part with!!! I'm not running out to thrifts and yard sales anymore, but looking to thin it down!!!!! :D:D

carolgal likes this.
  9. Jivvy

There was a day when this circled set would have been listed as "thermoset lucite" (which, to my knowledge, is not a real thing) and it would have done well.
    batch_DSCN0607.jpg

kyratango and carolgal like this.
  10. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

What is thermoset? I’ve seen that a few times on different pieces of jewelry and have no idea what it’s supposed to mean.

11. Jivvy

All plastics are either "thermoplastic" or "thermoset".

Once hardened, thermoSET plastics can not be re-melted. Once set, always set. Bakelite is a thermoset plastic.

On the other hand, thermoplastics can be melted, hardened, re-melted, over and over. Lucite is a thermoplastic. Which is why "thermoset lucite" is crazy.

At least that is, as far as I know - my college chemistry grades require that I leave room for error on my part.

12. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Thank you. I looked it up and couldn’t rub two brain cells together hard enough to understand the difference but you summarized it beautifully.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, I'm seeing some copper mixed in; all of the copper stuff is 50s. Screwbacks generally are 60s and earlier no matter what they're made from.

kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  14. Bookahtoo

Hi Ruth - I thought of you with every pair of copper earrings I handled. :)

kyratango likes this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

LOL I wore a copper bracelet today as a matter of fact.

kyratango likes this.
  16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I convert the ones that have dangling pieces into pierced earrings and wear them.

17. Bookahtoo

Okay, okay - I don't have any like the dangly ones in the link, but I did. Apparently they were so wonderful at $1 or $2 a pair that they've all been sold since I last looked.
    But, my original disbelief still stands! :p:eek:;):hilarious:

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted