Featured End Table, Small Chest of drawers? Not sure of Era, or maker

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Terence Kimble, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Terence, you can look on the back and sides of drawers, the back of the item, or anyplace else obscure. Unfortunately, many manufacturers do not mark their goods in the furniture world. That used to be the rule in centuries past, and even now that's what you'll find more often than not.

Aquitaine, komokwa and Terence Kimble like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's a French Louis XV style Bombay chest of drawers/commode, no construction details provided but I would guess vintage, in the 20th century. Most of the 19th-century ones you see have a marble top. Ditto period ones in the 18th century.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  3. James Conrad

Yes, that sounds right to me. Sorry, I have no idea what these sell for, much would depend on condition, quality of build, location, etc. I would avoid reproduction if selling, style or vintage sounds much better.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  4. Glopper1924 and James. I went over the entire piece today, couldn't find anything but correlating numbers to match the build to separate pieces. Put it on our floor today, all wiped down and beautiful. Tried to provide as much info as possible, which all came from you Guys and Gals. Thank you so much. A wealth of knowledge in this forum that is greatly appreciated!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good luck !:)
    Sell it to some ' human ' who will give it a good ' habitat ' !! ;):playful::playful:
    Bawhahaha!!!!!!!!!

6. Daniel G

Daniel G Well-Known Member

This is a ridiculous perspective, imo.

cxgirl, James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  7. James Conrad

Yeah is, kind of. Has never been to a thrift/charity shop but if the purpose is to help the less fortunate, wouldn't you be able to help them more if you get the maximum amount for a given object?

Terence Kimble, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't like the Red Crosses policies or the way they use money donated to them...
    but if a red cross worker shows up here.....I'm not going to jump down their throat for how I view the company as a whole....;):wideyed::wideyed::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Terence Kimble and cxgirl like this.
  9. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I am not belittling anyones work for the efforts to help those in need. I completely respect Terence’s an others that donate their time and expertise that they give to those less fortunate and lift them up in their times of need. PLEASE, let me repeat, “FULL RESPECT”. But with heavy heart I have very little in me for corporations that connive over time to profit in the name of charity. sadly in my life I know but a handful of organizations that remain uncorrupt by greed. If someone has a really good idea, someone else will find a way to most certainly steal it.

We rarely know few truths, but we all know what we’re told to be truths. @blooey is not wrong and neither is Terence. they only live on different streets. But Habitat for Humanity is not Holier-than-Thou, although many and most of their personnel may be. THEY ARE A BUSINESS, and there is nothing wrong with that except the deception that they are a charity.

https://freedomsandtruth.wordpress....tat-for-humanity-scam-disguised-as-a-charity/

Millard Fuller(an amazing guy), the original founder and president of Habitat for Humanity International, said after being push to resign, he had no plans to resign as leader of the international movement he started.

Roughly one year later Fuller was forced out of his job by the board of directors of the Christian homebuilding ministry. (yes, I know the accusations, they are always the same everywhere).

Lets all be adults in the room, Habitat for Humanity has help many, but they are in it at this point for a profit. I have a nephew that volunteered to work for them for free over seas but could not come up with their $2100 fee to volunteer.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/r...humanity-harsh-reality-hits-home/67-326566274

Not looking for a debate, Not stating any wrong doing(what they do is all legal). Not questioning anyones position or effort, and respect all volunteers devotion to help others. just saying…..

apologies, if I am out of place.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    janettekay, blooey and Terence Kimble like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

When the kerfuffle arose here I did a quick Google to see what I could find. I've been involved as a volunteer with an assortment of charities but not enough to know how to best research them. As nearly as I see, Habitat is a 501c3 so would be a non-profit/charity in the US. I'm not sure I found the best info but it also looked to me as though the percentage of donations that go to the cause was in-line though I could be wrong. (I didn't really intend to comment.)

Umpteen years ago I started attending the organizational meetings for a local "Women Build" for Habitat intending to work on the build. All seemed organized, clear and helpful (and free to volunteers). But for a long lasting injury I would have done it. I don't think it's unusual for a charity to expect volunteers who are travelling to far flung locations to pay their own travel and living expenses but could be wrong. Any that I've gone to certainly did though expenses incurred have been tax deductible if it's a 501c3. (though since I haven't had expenses to deduct the last few years that could have changed for all I know)

As far as donations, I usually donate to the local thrift that works with the local food bank. Honestly, when I donate something I'm just happy if usable items have a chance to be usable to someone, somewhere when I no longer want them.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    James Conrad and mmarco102 like this.
  11. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Amen to that! And in as few words I can manage: Businesses that fish for sales and profits with advertising under the guise of supporting charities to entice people to buy their products I refuse to patronize, always have and always will. Bona fide honest good-doers like my local churches thrift stores, I will support, always.

Draft saved Draft deleted