Featured Expertise Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dana1048, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

The reason I thought egyptian was because Egyptians used three marks and put them on the pin stems in brooches. Connecting that and the fact that the face looked line an b egyptian woman, i assumed it was egyptian. I have searched for days and have not been able to find one single cameo face of an egyptian women on a cameo. Exhausted

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You and half the forum, myself included.:hilarious:
    I think she is more Orientalist, the European idealisation of Middle Eastern and North African people and culture.

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ditz.....:happy:
    I haven't heard that in a long time !!!:):)

dit·zy
    /ˈditsē/
    adjective
    informal•North American
    adjective: ditzy; comparative adjective: ditzier; superlative adjective: ditziest; adjective: ditsy; comparative adjective: ditsier; superlative adjective: ditsiest
    silly or scatterbrained.
    "don't tell me my ditzy secretary didn't send you an invitation!"
    synonyms: silly, foolish, giddy, lightheaded, scatterbrained, featherbrained, harebrained, empty-headed, vacuous,

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Ah, but having struggled with it, you'll remember next time. You did get a great photo. So we can get a better look:

upload_2018-11-8_14-8-14.png

upload_2018-11-8_14-8-45.png

I'm inclined to think the first one is the right way up.

5. Any Jewelry

So am I.

Bronwen and Dana1048 like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can anyone give a name to the head decoration? (for lack of a better term) :hilarious:

judy and Dana1048 like this.
  7. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Not so far :(

judy and i need help like this.
  8. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Any
    Any luck on maker?

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I don't think we'll ever find the maker. But I have been trying to see if it is part of an assay mark, the official mark supplied by government controlled assay offices. No luck so far, so I think the chances are slim.
    Maker's mark is most likely.

Dana1048, judy and i need help like this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The photo showing the back of the piece,it looks like the pin hardware was replaced at one point.The mark could be from a "local" repair person and not be identified.There also looks like something on the back, lower end... mark, tarnish?

Dana1048, judy and i need help like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

You're right, it does look like a replacement. In that case the mark is of no importance to the piece.

i need help and judy like this.
  12. Bronwen

You don't really see cameos of Egyptian women. What you do see are ones generally identified as Cleopatra, that look like many cameos of Venus, just add asp:

Cleopatra 17.JPG

There are ones with Berenice/Berenike, but have never seen her on the shell cameos that come the way of most of us. For example:

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/wps/...-collection/18.+Carved+Stones/1002548/?lng=en

And of course they were both Greek.

judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Thank You so much! That is the first one I have seen with that type of lady. I sure wish the I've I have was that old..lol. I'm still working on matching it to a artist to the makers mark.
    What would be your best guess as to where it was made?

judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Thank You so much for trying!!! I'll keep searching.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  15. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Yes.. It is a 900 mark.

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  16. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Also, I believe what you might be talking about in relation to the pin, is I believe where I tried to polish it to see what was beneath. I left the portions around the pin natural for the jeweler test. He said it was gold on top and sterling silver underneath.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  17. Bronwen

Italy.

Draft saved Draft deleted