Featured Fantastic retro dress find

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by ladymoonvtg, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Stepford Wives, 1975 version.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

Makes sense! I love the in-between stages of fashion through decade hand offs.

Oh dang that is super helpful thank you!
    Guess it really was likely an in between fashion piece

——
    Thanks everyone for the compliments :’)
    I think this dress needs to be part of my vintage photo shoot for sure!

I found the dress when I walked into the fashion tent at brimfield- I’d been there for 5 minutes before I walked in, saw the dress, and had to have it. The color alone but the collar and cut really makes me love it more. Can’t wait to play dress up with it!

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Just adding that it looks great. Awesome find. :)

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Really cute and looks great on you!

In the US, garment labels did not usually have care/washing directions until 1972, which is when the government started requiring sewn-in care labels.

Also, the color of the union label is not always an indicator of it's age. Many monochrome union labels are found post 1973, which is when the label changed to red/white/blue. Even though the "official" ILGWU label was now colorful, if the ILGWU union symbol was printed directly the manufacturer or care label, it was often printed in whichever color was used for that. We see this on your garment and it is also often seen on slips, swimwear, and nightwear... typical garments on which the manufacturer didn't want to use the stiff and scratchy (but colorful) separate label provided by the union.

That said, I agree with early/mid 1970s for your fab dress!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I had a similarly styled short dress, shades of purple, woven poly-blend rather than poly-knit, but the very same belt buckle - purchased new in late '72 (along with a cute yellow quilted plaid halter maxi that was the 'evening gown' for a 14 year old at her big brother's wedding)...

~Cheryl

6. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

Bravo on the fine find. Just started watching Mrs. Maisel the other night, that was first thought I had.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nice, that. Cheryl's date seems spot on to me.

As an aside, our labels had no mention of tumble dryers until way later - at least the mid 80s ish. Ours also sometimes still say dry flat or line dry: that's in conjunction with do not tumble dry.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

Cheryl, wow! That sounds delightful and a sweet memory.

Follow up question to y’all: What shoes would have gone with this at the time? Something chunkier or more angular?

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Chunky!

Debora

Figtree3, Happy! and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Shoes had become pretty chunky by then. Scooped by Debora.

Platforms, granny shoes & ballet flats were all around. Capezio used to make a baby doll shoe that tied with grosgrain ribbon & came in powder blue. All the rage in 1969, maybe already out by the time of this dress.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Went shopping and found you a pair.

Debora

il_fullxfull.366601521_hb6a.jpg

DragonflyWink, Jivvy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Bronwen likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I agree looks great on you! Am I the only one that imagines it with a poof sleeve
    blouse underneath and call it Disney?

Happy! and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted