Featured Few of today's auction wins

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by charlie cheswick, Oct 9, 2022.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hi mate

Yeah I thought the same regarding the clothing

It's huge, which I didn't expect

Will get a few photos together for you tomoz

Yeah signed and dated in bottom left corner, I think whitworth

Was the pick of the bunch I reckon

judy, cxgirl, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Nice one!

judy, cxgirl and charlie cheswick like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I like the painting too. It's very photographic, isn't it? Cocky male figure posing for the camera. But then female figure just a cipher, inert and unaware of the camera's lens. It's almost as if she was plunked down in stern to balance the composition. Odd that the male figure is in contemporary dress but the female is in traditional. May have something to do with the location. The figure on path in distance almost seems like a conventional nod to traditional landscape painting rather than anything observed.

Debora

charlie cheswick likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

How marvellous are you deb

It's the female figure I love the most about it, didn't even notice the faraway figure

Will get some photos done tomorrow

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What a good deal you got! Looks like the painting should be reframed, if you are keeping it.

judy and komokwa like this.
  6. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I didn’t see the figure in the distance!

I’m curious why you refer to the man’s clothes as contemporary but the woman’s as traditional. My first thought was that the guy would probably pass costume approval at the Dickens Faire, and the woman looks like me outside there when it’s cold

my second thought was that actually both are dressed in a way that could fit a time span of close to 100 years.

I can’t really tell what clothes the woman is wearing, aside from a skirt and shawl, but I do know that a big cozy shawl over as much of yourself as it will cover is a very sensible thing to wear when you’re sitting below the waterline <shivers>

Figtree3, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  7. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

What really makes me wonder, though, is the absence of a hat on the woman. I find myself making up stories to explain why she isn’t wearing one. It’s in a box at her feet so it doesn’t get crushed. It is crushed under the shawl. She’s wearing a head wrap or fabric cap…

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Macdonalds..................like hamburgers and french fries?????

Draft saved Draft deleted