Featured Georgian pendant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Fionna, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome back.:kiss:
    I don't know how that would fit in with the black dot paste, wasn't that used earlier? Costume is not my forte.:shame:
    Agree, although I don't know about regional pieces, or if this even is regional.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Black dot paste is certainly earlier.

KSW, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Very pretty piece.
    The best English language speakers we met were Dutch & Belgian,more articulate than many folks here in the states.

KSW, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

The Dutch I worked with were masters of swearing in English.

KSW, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

We're also pretty good at swearing in Dutch.;)

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some of y'all do OK in German too, from what I hear. I can't even swear in English, can't get the words out.

KSW likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

French too, although the knowledge of French is on the decline here. Quite a few people do pretty well in Spanish.

KSW likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Holy blast from the past, Batman! I guess they've finally forgiven the Spanish then? For those who don't know, Spain ruled a good chunk of the Netherlands for a while. It does explain why a pile of Dutch Jews have Spanish last names. Spanish Inquisition aside. (as if, but...)

Any Jewelry, kyratango and KSW like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I think it was mostly the royal family who still had an issue with the Spanish. For the rest of the Dutch Spain has been a favourite holiday destination for decades. And we have many Spanish who settled here, just about every town has a Spanish cultural centre (or more).
    For the royals the issue was settled when former Spanish king Juan Carlos laid a wreath on the grave of William the Silent (who spoke a lot but said very little;)).
    All of the Netherlands, the old Netherlands, which included Belgium and Luxemburg.:arghh:

Dutch Jews with Spanish/Portuguese names didn't come here as a result of the Spanish occupation. They fled from persecution by the Spanish, and ended up in the Netherlands because they were allowed to practise their religion here.
    Freedom of religion was one of the things the Spanish tried to take away from us, and it was the main reason why the Dutch did their best to kick the Spanish out.

Fighting the Spanish is also how Dutch colonialism started, anything to get in the way of the Spanish and prevent them from gathering riches to fund a war on Dutch soil.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Iv'e Sephardi friends who've taken advantage of that heritage to get Portuguese passports.

12. Any Jewelry

They can also get a Spanish passport, and some even a Moroccan one.
    Dutch actor Jeroen Krabbé, part Sephardic-Mizrahi, part Ashkenazic, was told he could apply for a Moroccan passport.;) Don't know if he did.
    His ancestors lived in Morocco in the 16th-17th century, if I remember correctly. Before that they lived in Palestine, hence the Mizrahi part.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I'm very jealous, I want a European passport. My cousins are entitled to Irish, having been born in Derry, and also German, through their Holocaust escapee father. So they've one of each.

If Scotland goes indy and back in the EU, I'll be fine, otherwise I need adopting.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I'll look into that, if you don't mind a Dutch passport, that is. You can still swear in English when you're here, they'll understand.:D

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Ownedbybear and kyratango like this.
  15. evelyb30

I'm out of luck. My dad could have gotten a UK passport, but I'm one generation too far removed. Great-grandma was Cornish, and the reason I still make Mince pie for Christmas. Despite having a mother's maiden name and original version of my last name that are BOTH Jewish, they're Asheknazi. No Portuguese or Spanish passports for me. Dunno how Polish laws read. Since I can't get onto a plane anyway it's pretty well a moot point.

16. Ownedbybear

I'll happily take Dutch! xxx

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

:woot::happy::kiss:

KSW and Ownedbybear like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Same pendant, posted a few months later, and presumably bought after Fionna posted this thread. In the meantime the pendant had traveled from France to Belgium:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/victorian-or-georgian.73490/#post-4557483
    I have been wondering about the configuration, btw, with the butterfly as central element below the round element. You only see that in earrings of the period, imo.
    I have been browsing through my 'bible' of Dutch period jewellery ("Juwelen en mensen" by M.H. Gans), and similar earrings were made in The Netherlands as well. Pendants too, but in a different configuration.

Figtree3, KSW, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted