Featured Greek, from 14-1600s

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Adrianzetan, May 16, 2019.

1. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

How old? That is the question...

Nails??
    Please check carefully, but they appear to be the heads of round wire nails.
    upload_2019-5-16_15-45-27.png

The bottom one might just be a wood knot. Very hard to tell from pics.
    upload_2019-5-16_15-49-17.png

On the other hand, drawn wire made into loops like those holding the wood as hinges, that might have been around since the medieval periods.

Beautiful art too.

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

She want me to sell it for her.........

Run away.......run away fast !!!

She's not so stupid.......she's very smart !

antidiem, Bronwen, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

I would also be very cautious. If you want to help her, get her in touch with an expert or an auctioneer, most auction houses offer a short evaluation for free before you have to consign.
    There are many copies of icons around and even originals vary greatly depending on age and depicted scenes, the differences are hard to see on pictures, its easier if you have the icon in front of you in real life.

If you sell the icons too expensive, you might get problems with the buyer if he gets it authenticated, if you sell too cheap, someone, especially the future heirs
    think you ripped her off.
    If you sell with this story many will not want to buy or only at a very low price, because this "I sell for this nice old lady who has all this valuable stuff, but I can give no guaranties or certificates" routine is a classic to sell fakes.

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

The thing that popped to my eyes is the MODERN (even not 1930) eye screws put directly into the back of what is said to be a valuable ANTIQUE....
    [​IMG]
    Plus I agree with others who think it has an applied ageing crackling stuff....

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with McAdder, it is best to take it to an auction house where it can be appraised and sold.
    I noticed them but it didn't really surprise me, people do the strangest things with antiques, whether valuable or not.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, McAdder, Dawnno and 2 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In summary, @Kristinpersson It is not possible for us to authenticate it for you, but among us we know enough to raise serious doubts about its authenticity and have enough experience with the problems/dangers of selling such items with no good proof of their origin to warn you to be very careful. Our best advice is that you need to get better advice than we can give.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you don't get it checked and verified by a real antique dealer and you sell this for her for a lot of money, the person who buys it might find out it's fake and come after you for the money. You have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

antidiem, Bronwen, Dawnno and 2 others like this.
  9. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

We need to keep that advice ready, on boilerplate ... especially for the next religious-iconographic-on-mammal-ivory-silver-hallmarked-meso-artifactual-tribal-ceramic-first-edition-parts-assemblage-woven-language art, artifact, and artifactless that comes along.

Funny, because they call those decisions "legal opinions" too. And the 'forum' is called a "court". Pretty much the only difference -- what opinion in what forum.

10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Ha! :joyful:

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ha too!:D
    So not for the very antique 1960s items?:muted:

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Court of public opinion?

Dawnno, antidiem and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes but every religious-iconographic-on-mammal-ivory-silver-hallmarked-meso-artifactual-tribal-ceramic-first-edition-parts-assemblage-woven-language art, artifact, and artifactless is different and should not be relagated to the fakes pile without some proper caviching. As is here. We learn a lot by it.

Draft saved Draft deleted