Featured Hand carved box on chain. What do you think it is?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:17 AM.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

6E52CCD8-E572-4BCA-BE75-C13FD0397496.jpeg A67C9234-E30B-4C40-8098-BF4CDB80D7A2.jpeg 72401BE4-4601-4711-8AD1-B2B31067E327.jpeg Found this listed locally cheap and it looked interesting. Kind of has a tramp art look. Woodshop/garage project or something with a little more age? Inside lid pretty clean but could have stayed that way over time unexposed I guess. Homemade mailbox? Any ideas?

judy, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. J Dagger

Wam bam thank you mam, you got it! Either never used for grease or a more modern tribute? Certainly appears to never have houses any grease. Maybe made for that but they used it for something else? Now I have to decide if I should buy it or save the space.

Edit: Oh well sold since I posted this so I guess I don’t have to decide anymore.

4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure, but when I saw it I immediately thought covered wagon item. I was a curator for many years at the Southern Oregon Historical Society and we have a large collection of Oregon/ Applegate Trail artifacts. Nothing pops up in their on-line search. Couldn't be a skid shoe, but if it was used for grease there should definitely be residue. Sure looks like the right form from the limited on-line images. I expect with the challenging environment , weight restrictions and limited ability to carry precious equipment, everything served a dual purpose. grease box.jpg

5. J Dagger

Definitely the right shake you’re right! Thanks

Edit: sounds like you must have a had a pretty neat collection there!

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted