Featured Help Id and date an old big oriental vase, signed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gianluca72, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, it is indeed Satsuma made most likely made in Kyoto - Awata. Looking at the style I would think this dates to the 1920s-30s. I agree that these are just rised enamels and not Moriage... Many of these vases have no maker's mark on the bottom, but just a number, and I believe this one too. I am just not sure which number it is...
    By the way, I am not Greek, I just happen to speak Greek, lol!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oops!:sorry: But no mention of the McKinley Act.;)
    Glad to see you again, I hope your absence was for a good reason.

i need help likes this.
  3. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, yes, I was on a nice (Greek) island and not much in the internet. However, holidays are over now...

4. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

very interesting info, thanks .

Do you mean a Kyoto Satsuma, something like a Gyozan style, or maybe near to a Kinkozan last works (1927) Awata ... ?

Yes it could be a number the nearest number it could be " 7 "
    https://it.wiktionary.org/wiki/七

i send the rotated photo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

There were many producers in Awata who made such wares, without a signature it will be impossible to find the maker...

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  6. Gianluca72

Yes yes I understand that

It's a pity for me, a so large amazing vase, I cannot attribuite a maker.

Btw I got other interesting elements from you all, like dating, place, and technique..

One question only please.

That Gold trimming is done with real gold on that time or it's only a golden color ?

Thanks

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just wanted to say that I used to have two six foot Satsuma vases with no markings at all. I have forgotten what my Asian friend/mentor said they were.
    The mind has eroded a bit. However when I moved from Brooklyn they went to auction. I paid 350 dollars for the pair in 1962. In 1988 they sold for 5 thousand.
    I miss Miss Miskoto so much.
    greg

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry
    Please note that in my explanation, I said I was in the US so if it was made for the US market it would have been marked

I know this is a global board, but I unfortunately, think from a US viewpoint.

9. Gianluca72

Before I did not enter my question well.
    I'd like to learn if the gold decorations are "gold-colored" or if it's pure gold trimming.
    At that time, they used pure gold to decorate? Or was it a simple golden color?

Thanks for your answers

10. Gianluca72

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. Any Jewelry

I think we all think from our viewpoints, which reflect our cultural background. But we will take you by the hand every now and then and show you our world.;)
    Nice and sunny where I am:
    [​IMG]
    Some of the others:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And back to you, hope you enjoyed the trip:):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Gianluca72 and i need help like this.
  13. Gianluca72

Wow I enjoyed so much traveling around the planet
    Btw since the moment that all of us are able to see the same sun, it means that we are not so much far, each other .. :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

And we all share that same small planet. We just think it is big.:)

Gianluca72 likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The fired gold on ceramic pieces are real gold. The silver color which does not tarnish is Platinum. If real silver they would tarnish over a short time. If they do tarnish it is real silver. Any gold colored paint would stop being shiny after a while.
    They have been firing gold of ceramics for centuries.
    greg

16. Gianluca72

Wow this is a great info for me, thanks so much for your time I have learned something very interesting today

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted