Featured Help Id Silver plaque with coat of arms engraved

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gianluca72, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Oh thanks so much for your help in dating it :)
    I didn't test it yet i need to buy a silver tester, I'm willing to do it asap
    Thanks

kyratango likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I can really only try to find a book or website that has knowledge on this topic. I will look and maybe @Any Jewelry has some suggestions.
    This one seems unavailable,
    https://www.amazon.com/Libyan-Jewellery-Journey-Through-Symbols/dp/B005UHUXU0
    I will try to find some.
    I would ask AnyJewlery for suggestions on the tester. I don’t have one but I know there are differences to know about before buying one.

Museums can be helpful with age and other things, but never a value.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  3. Gianluca72

I really appreciate it, ok I'll wait for updates thanks so much :)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The birds are an ancient Phoenician-Berber symbol of the heavens, also linked to Tanit. Like the arms (sleeves?) on my Tanit pendant. They are often seen on jewellery from the part of North Africa that used to be Phoenician-Carthagean, also present-day jewellery.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    judy, kyratango and i need help like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Not at all. Most people don't like several generations of grease and grime on their jewellery.;):D The first thing I do when a piece of jewellery comes in the house, is give it a gentle bath, if the materials allow. Then I see if further cleaning is necessary.

Exact dating of Berber jewellery is best through marks or the feel of the silver, because imagery remained roughly the same for centuries.
    Most antique-vintage Berber jewellery dates from between 1850 and 1950.
    If the Tripoli mark is based on the Municipio di Tripoli crest and period (great research again, @i need help), I would say post-1934.
    If I am correct, those Municipios were instituted in Italian ruled Libya in 1934, but you know more about Italian history. The Allied Forces took over in 1943, but existing marks could have been used for some years after that.

6. Any Jewelry

kyratango and i need help like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Don't worry, no one can access it. The book is near impossible to find (antiquarian), I have been trying for years.:(
    But as you said, it may not be relevant, given the possible period which you so kindly helped research.

Edit:
    Aha! just found it, reprint, off to spend some money.:D
    @Gianluca72 , when it arrives, I will look if there is any relevant info on your Salha and get back to you.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  8. Gianluca72

@i need help and @Any Jewelry

Thanks so much for the reply and info
    In awhile I'll follow the test guide and I'll update you about silver purity

9. i need help

@Any Jewelry, which book have you ordered? I think the older one is actually scrollable manually. You just cannot use search.

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I ordered a reprint of the 1903 one. It is of more use to me, because it covers more of North Africa and is the standard book on North African jewellery. I have very few Libyan pieces, and they are not my main interest. That is mostly Tunisian city jewellery, which is a mix of styles, and northern Algerian Berber.
    Tunisian city jewellery:
    upload_2018-8-17_19-18-50.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-17_19-19-36.jpeg
    DSC09516 (640x439).jpg

Algerian Kabyle Berber earrings, the necklace is probably Moroccan:
    upload_2018-8-17_19-16-53.jpeg

judy, kyratango, Gianluca72 and 2 others like this.
  11. i need help

I thought it would be up you alley. Those are all beautiful and the last is colorful and cheery. I’m glad you found the book, then.

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry you are a BAD influence. Now all of the other joolies will be keeping their eyes peeled for North African jewelry.

judy, kyratango, Gianluca72 and 2 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

:D:D:D

14. i need help

In the meantime, @Gianluca72, get back to the auctions! Would love to see more! :)

15. Gianluca72

Lol every month i visit Rome auction houses the next one is on September I'll be there 100% ;)

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

till there is a proper test done it looks like a cheap cast pewter/white metal alloy with bubbles in the casting.

judy likes this.
  17. Gianluca72

Your words appear unusual to me because by the same photos Catawiki experts answered that considering the provenance and the era and the pics it's 100% silver but that in the description i should specify the purity, determining it by a silver tester
    The felt on the back was subsequently placed in Italy by some collector.

18. Any Jewelry

I don't know of any old Libyan Berber jewellery made of base metal, maybe others more knowledgeable on Libyan Berber jewellery do.
    Comparing it to other Berber pieces, I would think the silver content is between .800 and .900, possibly close to the latter.
    The value of the piece lies mainly in its rarity and collectibility. Good silver content is a bonus.

judy, i need help, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

1. catawiki "experts" are notorius in the art market to give wrong ascriptions.
    2. did they see the back without felt ? shows that the cutouts are very sloppily done and the bulges around them are a further hint towards casting that was not even properly fettled.
    3. I know Rome and its antique shops very well, my family had a house in Lavinio for over 30 years. and sometimes I went to the city centre with the BF of my mom - he went working a bit in the Ministero della Difesa and I went a bit looking around for some bargains.

judy likes this.
  20. Gianluca72

You know Rome, me i live in Rome from 45 years and i know very well several Auction Houses and their professionality. About Catawiki experts, i let you notice that who answered to me is an international metal and silver and gold antiques expert .
    Yes they have seen the felt on the back and also the photos without it.
    By the way,, so as @Any Jewelry said "The value of the piece lies mainly in its rarity and collectibility. Good silver content is a bonus" and I don't think that old Libyan Salha was made of base metal, it's like an insult to the Bedouin women that weared it for the wedding.
    I will buy the tester and I will be happy to update you. Have a great day

judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted