Featured HELP WANTED - DELIGHTFUL SILVER POT WITH A BOW TIE!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Nooshie, Jul 23, 2019.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Heh, I was confused because it seemed very obvious to me too - and if you deserve any whacks, it would only be a light one for apologizing for using the the term, 'stud box'...

~Cheryl

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I thought it was a wedding party place setting gift with one for men and maybe a flower for women.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

The term "stud box" is so ingrained that even the large (12" by 8" by 4"), triple layer box I use to house my collection of personal jewellery I refer to as a stud box. Its not really a gender thing, its more of a purpose thing............coined when a gentleman wore his ring(s) and watch regularly and only had "choices" when it came to studs/links. I on the other hand have been used to hanging ornaments all over my body, more akin to a Christmas tree than a gentleman.................

Jivvy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 9 others like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AHHHHHH, I suppose better than "Stud Muffin":joyful::joyful::joyful::p:rolleyes:!

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I know that some people might say that since it is plated the maker doesn't matter. But it does, for informational purposes. I don't have resources to figure this out, but am bringing your question back because I don't see a reply to it. (What with all of the discussion of studs.)

6. DragonflyWink

With just the Prince-of-Wales-plume/EPNS/shield-with-6-point-star-and-banner, would be a matter of looking through numerous pages to see if these marks show up with identified makers, or the symbols might show up in sets of manufacturer's marks, but even then, they might not actually belong to the same maker since the same or similar symbols were used by different firms. Should date to the late 19th-early 20th century...

Link to a good resource for British silverplate marks: http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionarydecryptingsilverplatemarks.html

~Cheryl

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks, Cheryl -- I guess @Nooshie can look there if she wants to. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. DanaB

DanaB Active Member

I just this post & I need one of those stud boxes! I collect stud buttons! Now where do I get one?! Lol! I love the Where's my stud box!

KSW likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Missed this the first time round but this is what I think of when someone says ‘stud box’
    And where is Mansons?
    6DB4606F-19B0-4A2D-9EC6-0CAB5F6D13D8.png A0177EF4-9411-4D2C-A60D-4C806B8AF5A3.png

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

hmmmm stud box. I was thinking in a different direction for mature audiences only. LOL

Aquitaine and KSW like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:There is always one who has to lower the tone :hilarious:

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was JUST wondering about Mansons...........

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I was just wondering where I was golfing back in July of 2019 ????

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. DanaB

DanaB Active Member

Ya'll need to get your minds out of the gutter! Stud button! As in collar buttons! I need one of those 1892 collector's boxes!

Bronwen likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Post this in the WANTED FORUM..

16. DanaB

DanaB Active Member

Hmmm....and asking where I can get one is not asking for help?!

No problem!

17. DragonflyWink

Hunhh, personally, took your requests as somewhat rhetorical - didn't realize you were actually expecting the kind folks here to find one for you. Have you looked on your own? Are you looking for the exact box from the 1892 clip I posted? If so, may take some time for you to find that particular one, if ever - if you're just looking for a novelty silverplate stud box, then would suggest looking online or in antique shops. I found mine, which is aluminum rather than silverplate, well over 30 years ago in a shop, but a very quick online search finds a few boxes along similar lines available (part of the fun is in the hunt)...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    DanaB, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. DanaB

DanaB Active Member

Thanks Cheryl for your reply! Yes I WAS serious all along. Maybe it's time to leave this board. But I really appreciate your last reply! Thanks!

19. DragonflyWink

20. DanaB

DanaB Active Member

Thank you very much!

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted