Featured Help with a cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Deux Coeurs, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LOVELY cabinet!!! There ISN'T much I would do to it, if you win it, except make sure it's clean when you begin to use it! I LOVE it's originality!!!

judy, Any Jewelry and Deux Coeurs like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Very pretty cabinet. Where did you get it?
    While the shelves inside may be yellow pine and are perhaps replacements, the rest of this cabinet looks more like cypress than pine. @Deux Coeurs

This looks to be from a southern U.S. wood worker early 1800s.

judy and Deux Coeurs like this.
  3. Deux Coeurs

Deux Coeurs Well-Known Member

I haven't purchased it yet. It's going up for auction and I'm considering bidding on it (I most likely will!). I think it would do well in my kitchen which I'm hoping to remodel within the next year.

judy likes this.
  4. Deux Coeurs

I wouldn't dare change anything!

5. antidiem

I have one I stripped in my early twenties, it's also cypress and I love it!

Mine had knobs originally, I was able to buy 4 antique brass knobs for it, but the one you are considering appears never to have had knob hardware and I'd not change that about it. Best wishes for your upcoming auction win!

judy, Deux Coeurs and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

It’s a beautiful thing. Good luck with the bidding,I hope things go your way.

7. Deux Coeurs

Thank you!

judy likes this.
  8. Deux Coeurs

Thank you!

9. antidiem

@Deux Coeurs
    I am curious to find out what state it comes from :cat: hope to hear good news from you afterwards!

10. Deux Coeurs

I'll be sure to update!

antidiem likes this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

GOOD LUCK! on your bid. You should have a good shot at it, these cupboards are very plentiful and usually country built with nailed construction, it was kind of a MUST have type piece in rural America all during the 19th century.
    OTOH, this month at Brunk in Asheville NC they sold a much rarer period Federal (1790-1830) step-back that was professionally decorated sometime around the mid 19th century.
    Something I have never seen, the auction house provided blacklight photographs of this cupboard, a nice marketing touch I think.
    Nice cupboard, very nice price as well.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/106037344_pennsylvania-federal-painted-step-back-cupboard

Federal Step-Back, probably Philly area, later paint. sold for $6500. 2 weeks ago

106037344_1_x (1)B.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    judy, Aquitaine, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  12. Deux Coeurs

That is gorgeous!

judy and James Conrad like this.
  13. James Conrad

Indeed, and kind of rare too.
    It's not often you see a city built step-back with its paint decoration still intact, most have been stripped, both country & city built.
    Still, I thought this cupboard was a bargain, 15-20 years ago it would have sold for twice that amount or more.

judy, Deux Coeurs and antidiem like this.
  14. antidiem

James, 2 questions: what kind of wood is that cabinet made of and what does "professionally decorated" mean? :shame:

judy likes this.
  15. James Conrad

Tulip poplar & pine, professionally decorated = someone who paints for a living.

judy, Aquitaine, Boland and 2 others like this.
  16. antidiem

Thanks, James

judy likes this.
  17. Deux Coeurs

Wow!

18. antidiem

Yep, I stripped mine but it was just milk paint, a beast with stripeze back in the day!

judy likes this.
  19. James Conrad

It is almost certain OP cupboard was originally painted, especially if built of mixed woods which it appears to be. This usually devalues the hell out of a piece, similar to Windsor chairs which were mostly built of mixed woods and always originally painted. This not only brought a bit of color to the equation but masked the different woods used in the construction.
    Unfortunately, America went on a "stripper craze" in the 1960s-1980s which became almost a fetish and destroyed the value of a lot of old furniture.

judy, antidiem and Deux Coeurs like this.
  20. Deux Coeurs

Very unfortunate. Now it seems the opposite; everyone wanting to paint perfectly fine furniture. Hopefully that trend sees its way out the door soon.

judy, antidiem and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted