Featured Help would be v. much appreciated for Roman coin xx

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BoudiccaJones, Jan 23, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Questions lol...

Wait you buy lots of metal detecting finds that have gold in them? And silver? I only ever bought them once but I would have guessed that people remove the gold and silver and sell the rest. That’s not the case?

What is silver paper?

You found a gold coin!?!!! You don’t consider that exciting!?!!? That’s the end all be all of metal detecting basically! I would crap myself if that happened lol. I found a small 10k class ring once and that that was great. Finding a 22k half sovereign would be a dream come true!

2. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I find all sorts in mixed lots...they all look the same when they come out of the ground,silver/gold/brass...lots of people miss gold and I always find silver. Most often brass though but have had great finds in other peoples xx

The half sovereign was a detecting find but my Dad's, not mine ... my Mum almost persuaded him to mount it onto some item of jewellery :eek: for my 18th :eek: I was so grateful he didn't. He didn't give it to me either though lol and he claims it was stolen. He did have a house full of lodgers so it's plausible.
    Silver paper ... well it used to be used to wrapping sweets and things...(we called it silver paper, wonder what it was actually called then :O )
    Must have had something in it as our school used to save silver paper and buy guide dogs...just had a quick look and it's called silver paper on the Blue Peter webpage.

I would LOVE to find a ring, have you a pic of the one you found?

I love all jewellery but I have a real THING for rings xx

I found this in my last eBay lot...it has a hallmark and I think it's gold but ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KSW, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Silver paper = tin foil, used as wrapping on chewing gum, inside cigarette packets, its metallic so is picked up by detectors just like bottle tops and ring pulls.

I found a Gin Trap buried once, pretty horrific piece of kit.

77_222.jpg

KSW, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  4. BoudiccaJones

What a horrid thing. Interesting to find but just horrid.

Tin foil! Lol yes that's it...could not remember the grown up name. Ring pulls were everywhere as well. As an aside *NOT THAT I AM OLD ENOUGH* but chocolate used to taste better out of the old packets that folded, they were tin foil I think inside with paper outer. Like this:
    [​IMG]

KSW, Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

That's a real HOARD! And not on the cheap side!;):woot:
    I'm amazed by all of these pieces:)
    Wondering what @James Conrad would think of the hoard:p

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

"HOARDITORIUM"! Excellent! :rolleyes: It will be the scientific name of mine from now;):hilarious:

KSW, Aquitaine and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. daveydempsey

@BoudiccaJones

Short of boring people because I've shown this a quite a few times, this is for your benefit and others who have not seen it.

Found down my lane in 1999 after water pipe excavations.
    Its made of lead with a ferrous neck.

Identified as a 1st century pommel from a Celtic dagger.
    The eyes may have had jewels inside

Lead turns to an ivory colour after being buried in soil.

I found a 13th century silver Long Cross Penny less than a foot away from it too.

I still have it.

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6298.jpg

J Dagger, KSW, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Interesting, is it valuable?

Well, i trust Davey's judgement on coins, i know very little about them.
    Wonders if a TASTE TEST has been employed to authenticate the coin?:hilarious:

9. BoudiccaJones

I can't take credit for that fab word...I first saw it here and it describes my stash perfectly :D xxx

10. BoudiccaJones

ohhhhh my...I dream about things like this.

KSW and Aquitaine like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

...bagsy not me. I'll do some things for science...I used to test batteries with my mouth but draw the line here. Unless I am bribed. I'll do it then. For chocolate

No not valuable, worth very little xx

kyratango and KSW like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Here, you simply can't have diggery things running amok generally. There has to be an archaeological survey done.

Davey, did you have to report that to the PAS?

KSW and BoudiccaJones like this.
  13. BoudiccaJones

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  14. BoudiccaJones

Already posted this but here it is again...still don't know what it is but is 'tresting. From an eBay lot **SORRY ABOUT THE SPAN HAIR**
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for tax here's the Span the hair came from. My baby boy Jude Span Jones
    [​IMG]

15. BoudiccaJones

Going back to Davey's post...even the words Celtic Dagger thrill me. I cannot imagine finding something that exciting. Tbf, I am excitable and go into raptures over the most common things ( I mean find ANYTHING that someone used, someone made...someone touched etc all those years ago is mind blowing to me ) but that is really a find. And of course...I AM BOUDICCA. Which I think sort of means that maybe I should have it :) :) :) **cough cough**

My son did a DNA testing thing for Xmas and he found that he has no English blood, but a load of Celtic. ( Now god knows I know nothing about many things and DNA is one of them. I think that means that I don't either though)
    We live next to Wales and my family roots on both sides are in Hay on Wye/Clifford which is just inside Wales so I shouldn't have been that surprised. Not sure what they mean by Celtic either. I was just shook that I had no Canine blood as I am sure I am more Dog than Human.

16. daveydempsey

No, it is not classed as treasure, no gold or silver and only a single base metal.
    County archeologists saw it though and it was them that identified it.

I took it to Australia with me when I emigrated.
    I visited an antiquities and coin show in NSW and several people began to visibly tremble when they handled it :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

About 600 metres from my door a detectorists found a 3000 year old Iron Age sword in a farmers field.

It was spirited away to a museum in London rather than be kept in the local area.:mad:

17. Ownedbybear

County archaeologists are really helpful - and the PAS can be, too. I can understand the shaking. ;)

18. BoudiccaJones

Almost seems a shame to have it in a museum in a different area but at least it gets seen by lots of people ... if it were mine it'd be hidden to all but my fwends here. I'd be gloating over it all the time xx

J Dagger, kyratango and KSW like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

If you declare a find, you often get to keep it, once it's been researched and catalogued. It's the historyand context that they want to record.

J Dagger, kyratango and KSW like this.
  20. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

A2CA142A-7C35-45A6-ADAE-11365FEE2AD0.png 25B379CE-E83A-40E6-85C8-94EFC0AECE57.jpeg A2CA142A-7C35-45A6-ADAE-11365FEE2AD0.png 25B379CE-E83A-40E6-85C8-94EFC0AECE57.jpeg

I’ve never recovered ancient items but as far as I know gold comes out of the ground looking like gold. It doesn’t really tarnish I thought. When something is hundreds and thousands of years old I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be pretty filthy though. I’ve only heard that old gold doesn’t really look any different coming out of the ground. My ring was from 1949 I think it was, so that’s all I have to go on. It still looked brand new and shiny when I took it out. Your ring looks like it could be low carat gold but looks a little more like brass to me. I hope it’s gold for your sake! You can get a an acid test kit on eBay for like $10 and figure it out for sure.

Silver in my experience either comes out perfect and looking like silver or it comes out totally black. Again all the silver I’ve found is not more than 100 years old so I don’t know what ancient stuff looks like coming out.

Huge bummer about your dads coin!!! Where did he find it? It really sucks that gold rings up on metal detectors in the same range as tin foil and pull tabs. The ring I found was a 13 on my machine, the exact same number pull tabs come up as usually. Typically your instinct is to skip those low signals and I often do. It horrifies me to think I’ve passed right over pieces of dropped gold jewelry or coins. Some sites just have sooooooo much garbage that you can’t possibly dig every signal. You wouldn’t move twenty feet all day sometimes. If I’m on a site that has history going back pretty far I’ll dig the low signals because a lot of buttons come up in that area too. The tin foil is a huge pain in the ass because it’s so small and thin that even with a pinpointer it’s hard to find in the dirt and wastes a lot of time sifting to get it.

Lastly I love all chocolate no matter what it comes in, so long as it’s dark!

These are the two photos I could bring up the fastest of my ring find. I unfortunately must have hit it just right with my shovel to split it :(. The beach I found it on was “built” and opened in 1951 so the lady probably lost it shortly after she graduated. The face of the ring is sadly missing so I couldn’t try to track her down. I recall this was a bad day personally. It was a good detecting day though. I hit the trifecta. Gold, silver (war nickel), and a Minie ball bullet. Plus a wheat penny bonus.

BoudiccaJones and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted