Featured Henry Griffith and Sons Connemera Pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by i need help, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

OK, not 1966. The shape of the Y is all wrong - 1966 has horizontal cross bars on the foot and forks and is totally straight line. I think that left hand mark is a very rubbed Hibernia. And the closest letter is 1894: yes, it's a different cartouche shape, but that's quite common. It's the letter shape that matters.

I much prefer Jackson's to Tandys, tend to find it far more accurate.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

1894 would make more sense style-wise, and the use of green jasper as well. It has the feel of my late 19th century Celtic Revival jewellery.
    I buy very little British silver, so Tardy and Divis fit my requirements better. But I agree, Tardy is not 100% accurate.
    My date letter id was from silvermakersmarks.co.uk though, not Tardy.;)

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It is still dark here, I’ll take more photos, and the clasp. I think it’s a C clasp. It’s quite stiff and sharp. I just can’t seem to get a photo, but when I look at the mark, it’s exactly like the one AJ posted. Thank you all for struggling with my poor photos. :)

4. Ownedbybear

I think the problem with some of the date letter websites is that they sort of give the impression that the cartouche shape is vital and that you simply must have all the marks. ;)

C clasp fits the date. And that does look late Victorian.

5. Any Jewelry

It certainly looks like a C-clasp to me, and that round hinge was introduced in the 1890s. The plot thickens.....:pompous:

6. i need help

I would be thrilled with any of that, (or even 1966 :hilarious:) it was advertised as turquoise. ;)

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was thinking it must be older after seeing Griffith's marks of earlier date and not matching up with the date of the Y, but without AJ's resource I had nowhere else to look. Glad to see a resolution and and learn something new!!

8. Ownedbybear

Long pin is late 19th, too.

9. Any Jewelry

That's why we are a forum, we join forces.;)
    Yep.

10. i need help

0C871CB3-0168-4FC2-8881-CF6A4A02FCEF.jpeg 135A61EB-F625-4198-AC4D-19DC9BBB9EA0.jpeg D56CB975-46A1-4A4C-8083-27FD6D72560C.jpeg F530638F-079E-4B73-8B66-B0291CA7B454.jpeg Still pretty hard to get any better than this, so I will just be happy with conclusions of “older”. Not planning to sell it, so it’s just for my own information. Thank you all again!!! :)

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  11. i need help

6C646677-9C2D-4CBB-9355-35406D539F68.jpeg Actually, if Silver Collect It is right, it looks most like Chester entered 1890.
    Judging by the shape. The bottom right corner is a little angular.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  12. Bakersgma

Are you referring to the maker's mark? I can't expand your attachment.

13. i need help

6AC1A326-8951-4ED2-8B35-DB54F2338A0E.jpeg 09FC9ACE-7E16-4338-A848-CB9E60CF5A80.jpeg
    Yes, it looks the same shape, I thought. I entered the photos individually.

14. Bakersgma

15. Ownedbybear

Yeah, that maker's mark seen on a Chester item is closest, but the date mark will be Dublin, as it's the import office.

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  16. i need help

Thank you, OBB! :)

17. Ownedbybear

Most welcome.:)

i need help likes this.
  18. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

OBB - what s title of "Jackson's"? I've eyeing Tandy as a special treat for myself, but perhaps I should look at Jackson's too.

19. Ownedbybear

If you want the bible on British and Irish gold and silver, Jackson's is the thing. It's Jackson's Silver and Gold Marks, by Ian Pickford. You can get second hand copies on Amazon. I also use a pocket version of Bradbury's silver and gold hallmarks book for quick look ups.

20. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted