Featured Henry Housier - know anything about this artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Tom Mackay, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Well...maybe it was one of these... Henry Housier sailboats on lake.JPG Housier $250.JPG Housier small ships and widmill.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. BEZSA777

BEZSA777 New Member

Hi I am from South Africa and have one of his works called "Notre Dame" It is an absolute beauty....Oil on canvas 83 cm x 63 cm and with Frame 97 cm x 77 cm... H HOUSIER4.jpg H HOUSIER 3.jpg H HOUSIER.jpg

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, BEZSA.
    It certainly is. He has a way of making you feel all snug and at home in the image he paints. I copied yours full image:
    [​IMG]

4. Tom Mackay

Hi BEZSA777 ! Thanks for posting a photo of your painting ! It's so -
    "Oh - and by the way - in the background that's Notre Dame ." as if one sees things like that every day !

Christmasjoy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  5. Tom Mackay

Any Jewelry, thanks for posting an enlargement. I find the understatedness of that painting quite charming !

6. Old Vermonter

Old Vermonter New Member

H, Housier.jpg I have a gorgeous Paris scene painted by Henry Housier. It measures 36"w x 24" h. I bought it at auction several years ago, and now it's time to sell it! Does anyone have any advice as to where I might place it for sale? Thanks in advance!

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

81856AD2-40B1-4670-9675-9A26EC871273.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Old Vermonter! :)
    Maybe @Tom Mackay will be online.

8. Tom Mackay

I just got a notification this thread was activated !
    So nice !
    Sorry I have no good advice on where to sell. I imagine a lot
    depends on where one is.
    You might try your local craigslist or any similar online selling sites
    that are popular where you are or an auction house may be a better route.
    I get a kick out of the portrayal of the casualness of everyday life in a location where tourists would be agog.

9. Old Vermonter

Old Vermonter New Member

I'm told that this scene is the Parisian Bouquinistas of Notre Dame.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. Tom Mackay

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Old Vermonter

Old Vermonter New Member

12. Sheila thompson

Sheila thompson New Member

Hello!! I have has this painting for 25 years! Bought it at a local auction! Tried researching over the years! Thought I’d try one more time! Glad to see other paintings!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Sheila thompson

Sheila thompson New Member

I’m glad I found this page! I have had this painting of Henry’s for 25 years plus! Over the years have tried to find information and found nothing! Thought I’d looknone more time! Glad I did!

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Tom Mackay like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Sheila! :)

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Sheila. It's amazing what you can find out here. :)

16. Tom Mackay

I'm also glad you found it ! Any one who has a painting by Henry Housier - please share what you know and post photos of your picture !
    Heh - for now, this may be the internet's best source of Henry Housier info !

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I wonder if this guy ever existed. first of all it's very unusual that a French is using Henry instead of Henri. secondly the places and subjects are all VERY generic. and then he's from Lyon of course - the only city foreigners remember besides Paris.
    to me it looks like tourist pieces that were sold to Anglo-Saxons most probably with a charming story about the Grand Tours of the past.

Jivvy likes this.
  18. BETSY3399

BETSY3399 New Member

20190709_212411.jpg My husband and I inherited this painting about 5 years ago and has been in the family for at least 25? Years. It originally came from an uncle who was an art collector in Covington, KY. I could not find any other information on it.

19. Tom Mackay

Hello and welcome ! It's nice to see another work by this artist ! I believe all the information there is to find is right here on this thread - and you just made a nice addition to it !

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. 8394985020203lola

8394985020203lola New Member

Hello! I just came across this forum. I have a beautiful Henry Housier painting that i purchased at an auction a few years ago, but as I am doing redecorating I am looking to sell it. Any suggestions of where I could do this in the Toronto area? Or if anyone here is interested. Having trouble uploading a picture. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted