Featured Henry Yitra Paperweight?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 21, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I saw YMCA too at first. I figured that couldn't be right, could it? I got out my magnifier and still came up with the spelling. I agree @bercrystal is truly wicked. Trying to combine my love of paperweights with my love of perfume bottles - grumble, grumble.

judy, bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

I have only one that would probably cross over. Did you bring your collection to your new house, so you can show us some?

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ah, see, I learned the word vitramic first. ;)

It's also an old word for window, from memory. Latin derivation.

judy, bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Sure,Ill post pics later.

5. KikoBlueEyes

Great. Looking forward to it. Thank you.

judy and bercrystal like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

I took 5 years of Latin and it all drooled out of my head.

judy, bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I've known vitra, vitro and several words derived from it for some 60 odd years, but I still read YMCA.:hilarious:

8. Any Jewelry

Latin didn't find my head a good place to stay either. I even had to translate texts from Thomas Aquinus books at some stage during my studies. All gone out the window.:wacky:

judy, bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

That's because you are multilingual and also imaginative. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry, judy and bercrystal like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Five years of French, two at college level, also drained out. I think, I could have kept that, but I missed my year in Paris.

Any Jewelry, judy and bercrystal like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The languages I'm best at are the Latinate/Romance ones, so I can see the patterning on words like this. I can do Germanic ones as well, but the Latin ones have more glue.

I love etymology generally.

judy, Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

No wonder you spotted the Vitra for what it was immediately. I envy you this knowledge and talent.

judy and Ownedbybear like this.
  13. johnnycb09

Heres a couple of them,I do have a few more but they are still packed away. My last house was much smaller,yet though this one is much bigger I dont seem to have room for anything ! I stupidly bought a gorgeous curved glass curio but didnt measure,and its too big to fit anywhere. So it sits in the garage until I can get help as it weighs 200 lbs at least !
    [​IMG]
    the rest of the shelf,but its 1/3 of what I have tucked away.
    [​IMG]

14. KikoBlueEyes

Oh those are terrific. I love the one with the blue and foil effect, but they are both so nice.
    Is that a Sommerso vase, I see there? Also what are those rainbow fan vases with the wavy lines. Those are gorgeous.

judy, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. johnnycb09

Thank you ! Those are goblets,and I identified them but cant remember offhand who they are. Once I get everything corralled I will post some more pics.Theres so MUCH! LOL !

16. KikoBlueEyes

Looking forward to seeing more. :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

johnnycb09, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Untuck it man !!!
    life is too short to keep your favourite stuff....in a box !!!!

18. Any Jewelry

Beautiful collection, Johnny. What we can see at least, but I'm sure the rest is also stunning.
    Johnny, I think I desperately need that miniature cabinet on the lower shelf.:hungry::happy:

19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm sure many/most of us here know the word 'vitrine'.

Draft saved Draft deleted