Featured HOMERUN?! HELP w/SIGNATURE ON OLD BLACK AMERICANA? FOLK ART? PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 2, 2018.

1. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The painting is yours to do with as you will, but please take a breath and wait... just a moment.[/QUOT

Jivvy makes a very good point.

An unscrupulous buyer could claim SNAD. You could be out the painting and the money!

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know if yours is original or not though it certainly seems to be in the style. What I did want to mention is the condition of yours. It could be that restoration would be something to consider if it's authentic. An expert could advise I'm sure.

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I would definitely take it off eBay as well! If someone does buy the painting and finds out its not an original it's not going to look very good! You should definitely wait and get it authenticated first and go from there but it's your painting! Also I believe you can't refund a huge amount of money like that on ebay without going through some steps.

4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Also if you don't want to wait to whenever the auction starts you could take it to a local gallery and have them look at it. I live like 25 min from kodner gallery thats always advertised on antiques roadshow and they do free appraisals the first time you take a piece of art there. They are great people and they put your artwork in a auction for you that way you don't have to wait months. I'm not sure though if there is a gallery near you that does that unless you call and ask. I did that with a couple of mine years ago and was very satisfied. Up to you though just a suggestion

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sometimes a batter will take the 1st pitch...and knock it out of the park.

But a good batter....who hits many home runs....is the one who patiently waits for the right pitch.....& then jumps on it !

I wouldn't list that painting anywhere...until I knew exactly what it is.....what it's value is....and where's the best place to sell it.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.

7. Kell

Kell New Member

i would contact a local museum to find out where to have it appraised. If it is authentic, you have a winner!!

Please keep us posted!

judy, Jivvy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks all; I'm expecting Skinner to reply this week & there is a Kodner close enough in Hallandale I could try.

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Have not heard from Skinner yet so I took it to Godner auction house close by in Dania. The guy there told me it was a painting but without getting it authenticated it would have to sell as "Attributed to"
    He also wanted to see what was behind the backing (it IS a board over the original painting not the back of the painting!) but he wouldn't take it off unless I consigned it to them; which I wasn't ready to do yet.
    So I took it home, but all the way there I kept wondering what was on the back of the painting? Would it say the city like the only other one I've seen from Florida (with palm trees in it) that said it was painted in St. Augustine?
    By the time I got home the curiosity was killing me - so I removed the back (2 backs actually!). And found what looks like a receipt for 6" x 12" panels + paint!
    I've attached photos including some I tried with filters (it's a new computer with windows 10 that I don't understand the editing yet, sorry) but I could use some help reading it all - especially the name? or word in the center of it.
    Thanks again for the help with this piece.
    AA ART PAINTING WILLIAM AIKEN WALKER 6A.jpg AA ART PAINTING WILLIAM AIKEN WALKER 6AA.jpg

FILTERED BELOW

AA ART PAINTING WILLIAM AIKEN WALKER 6BAA (2).jpg

AA ART PAINTING WILLIAM AIKEN WALKER 6BAA.jpg

AA ART PAINTING WILLIAM AIKEN WALKER 6CAA.jpg

FILTERED NAME? IN CENTER

AA ART PAINTING WILLIAM AIKEN WALKER 6CAA (2).jpg

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Cabin?

judy likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Maybe that was the name - he named some (like Wash Day at the cabin for one)!

judy likes this.
  12. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Not sure about the writing on the back but if that were mine I wouldn't be laying it face down on anything ...maybe I'm just over cautious.

judy, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  13. journeymagazine

I put it back together

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  14. journeymagazine

Looks like it says they were reduced to $10 for the boards & $18 for the paint - was it that expensive at the turn of the century?

judy likes this.
  15. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Maybe this was done in the 40s. He died in 1921. Could be by another painter that was inspired by his work

judy likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

The signature is the same as his?

judy likes this.
  17. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

His signature is not hard to replicate as itsa pretty simple signature. It's not like it's cursive or anything like that. It might have been better if you would of let him look at the back cause whoever at the art gallery could of told you more info

judy likes this.
  18. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Is that the amount for one board or 100?

judy likes this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like $12.50, $10.00, $18.00.
    But it looks like a word maybe under $12.50.

judy likes this.
  20. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

What I meant was, "there isn't enough info to judge what decade those prices come from."

judy, aaroncab and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted