Featured HOMERUN?! HELP w/SIGNATURE ON OLD BLACK AMERICANA? FOLK ART? PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 2, 2018.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Oh sorry, do you see the word?

judy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2018-10-10_0-17-4.png

upload_2018-10-10_0-17-22.png

He made 2 Ws that just touch & the A by putting the cross bar between them. It will eventually have to come out of the frame to compare the er. The dot after looks like part of it too. I'm still comfortable with their being by the same hand; only forgeries are exactly alike.

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I see the word that I think says "paint" but no other word.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw paint too

judy and i need help like this.
  5. leof

leof New Member

This is a chromolithograph applied to boarboard 100 percent. The white spots are proof.

6. leof

leof New Member

The board appears to be masonite which was developed circa 1925. I believe this is a chromolithograph laid down on masonite. If it was painted during the time of the artists life it would have been on wood board or canvas. Another tell tale sign is the muddy appearance of the signature. Coupled with the blaring white spots throughout the surface Iam pretty sure Iam correct. White spots are a tell tale sign the image is on paper. Chromolithographs look like paintings and are often over painted with actual paint to fool someone.

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

judy likes this.
  8. Jivvy

Walker worked on Academy Board. That is not in question. This has been seen, in person, by multiple antique dealers who declared it "a painting."

With the number of factory paintings that get presented to this forum, I do not know why people are so determined to disprove this piece. :hilarious:

judy likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I know the folks here on Antiquers are good, but it is impossible for us to authenticate (or dismiss) an object like this based on photographs alone, when none of us has experience with a real example of Walker's work. You need to find someone with the appropriate expertise to actually handle and examine the painting, particularly with something of this potential value. I believe you said earlier that Christie's requested photos? Did you send them some? My experience with the big auction houses is that they usually don't respond at all. If they asked for photos, they have a reason to be interested.

As for the white scratches, it does not automatically mean it is on paper. As I suggested before, it could be the ground layer usually applied to prepare a painting surface on board (or canvas). As demonstrated by the ARS example, such white scratches are consistent with this particular artists's work.

Artists' academy boards and millboards of various types became available in the 19th century. We cannot say if this board is masonite or another type of artists' board without having it in hand. The frame and backing materials also appear consistent with the 19th century.

The writing on the back of the panel may be the original price for the painting, rather than materials - $12.50, marked down to $10.00. What you see as "paint" may instead say "pair" - $20.00, marked down to $18.00 for 2. This would be consistent with a (prolific) working artist trying to move product.

http://www.findartinfo.com/english/list-prices-by-artist/1/4155/william-aiken-walker/page/1.html
    provides auction records for 300 Walker paintings sold. It might be instructive to pay the (modest) fee for one day's access to look at the photographs of all of the paintings sold. If your particular image does not appear, it is more likely that it is an unknown painting and not one that would have been reproduced.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I've nothing to offer about the painting itself, but I see the word pair, not paint, and agree with 2manybooks' price markdown hypothesis. :)

11. Jivvy

I think it's an EXCELLENT hypothesis. And excellent message in general. :cat:

bluumz, komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
  12. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

judy and komokwa like this.
  13. journeymagazine

Me too.
    Thank you. I'm grateful for the help/info.

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@journeymagazine, you've been offered a ton of information here!!! Heed it well, and PLEASE don't be in a rush to sell!!!! Get your 'due diligence done first! THAT's what will pay off for you.....no regrets.....EITHER way you will know you did all you could for the painting!!!!:):):)

15. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Leof. Sorry, but I am just not seeing a lithograph.

16. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Leof, If you look at the first picture that Jm posted with the back removed, where is the masonite? I see Academy board, card of some sort and a wooden/board panel. I think these are all appropriate to the frame and the suggested period.

I love a good painting mystery. :) And also, welcome to this interesting and informative forum. There is so much we all learn.

judy likes this.
  17. journeymagazine

I looked at it CLOSELY with a magnifying glass & the strokes end at the end of a dress or roof or whatever the object is. And the auction house guy said it was a painting so ... but am probably going to go back & let him see it out of frame

18. leof

leof New Member

White spots to surface scream chromolithograph. Signature is muddy almost faded. There is no crispness to this work. Ill bet its not a painting.

judy likes this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Leof! :)

judy likes this.
  20. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Leof, Can you please post a photo of a well-documented chromolithograph that illustrates your point?

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted