Featured House of Worth gloves

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by say_it_slowly, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... don't think you have to worry too much about that. May not be your collecting area but others will recognize your gloves for what they are. Good luck with them. And keep them out of your daughters' tiny hands!)

Debora

say_it_slowly likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Heard back from Augusta with some information. They said they would sell well there but they only accept consignments of 15-20 pieces due to the paperwork.

They did offer a bit of info on the date:
    "They appear to be correct and the label imprint indicates Jean Phillipe Worth as the designer, mid-1890s to the 1st decade of the 20th century."

Now to consider another option (or maybe they're headed back to the drawer:))

judy likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Turn of the century-ish then. Close enough for government work. Why don't you put them up on eBay then? Listing will have a wide audience and the person who wants 'em should find 'em. Below are glove styles from the 1909 Sear's catalog. Yours would have been more fashion-forward.

Debora

1909-Sears-gloves-3-350x459.jpg

say_it_slowly likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My grandmother was a couture seamstress. This meant, despite the fact we were NOT a well off family, I had the best dressed dolls in London and some wonderful clothes. She could make magic from scraps, that one. And knitted glorious things. I remember her letting Fair Isle fall from her needles, without seeming to even look at what she was doing. She could whip the edges of silk chiffon with minute stitches - and made my mama a boned bikini once. She'd buy remnants, eye me up, and make me lovely dresses, no paper pattern involved.

She did a seven year apprenticeship, startingby picking up needles from the floor at the age of thirteen.

Why is this relevant? Guess where she did that apprenticeship.

5. say_it_slowly

Well not Sears I'd think.....was she really at Worth?

judy likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

7. say_it_slowly

I think that is lovely! What a nice memory to have of your Grand who obviously was very talented!

judy and Ownedbybear like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To create beautiful things... What a noble calling!

Debora

yourturntoloveit and Ownedbybear like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Her legacy to me is that I'm unable to by clothes without going all over them to make sure they're well made. As a teenager, when I bought anything in a Real Shop, she'd reseam it, new buttonholes the lot.

judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

The joy and the curse of knowing quality;). It's quite surprising how it stands out sometimes.

Where I live, along with masses of us low and middle income folks, there are rather a few of the very rich. When meeting one lovely woman that I know to be in that later group what I noticed, even from a distance, was that her very casual clothes of obvious quality were not like anything I'd seen. Not off any local rack I'm sure. (and for a non-fashion forward soul like myself it was quite a surprise that I even noticed!)

bluumz, Ownedbybear and judy like this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Loved reading this, thanks for sharing. Oh how I wish I could have spoken with her and picked her brain!

Ownedbybear likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

I loved hearing her talk: I still have a few things she made, as well as her apprentice papers. I never knew grandpa,he was much older than her and died the year after I was born. He'd had an interesting life as well. Ran away to sea, helped build the Canadian Pacific Railroad and was a fireman in the London Blitz.

My other grandparents lived on the Gold Coast and that's a whole other story.

judy and bluumz like this.
  13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Bluumz, I know what you mean by "picked her brain" but I'm guessing that if you met her what you probably would want to "pick" would be her warm/sharing heart.

judy and bluumz like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ah, she had that alright. We used to go round markets and on River Thames trips, I loved shopping with her. The whole family were bargain hunters and hagglers - they'd had to beShe was an old fashioned working class woman, who cooked wonderful roast dinners. Like her daughter, my aunt: you could never leave the house unfed. Boxing day lunch once was cold turkey, hot roast beef, cooked ham, stuffing, sausages, mash, roast and boiled spuds and at least eight veggies, including roast parsnips. And Yorkies, of course and a bucket of home made meat juice gravy.

An hour later she asked if anyone wanted a sandwich or Christmas cake.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted