Featured How to go about authenticating a signature

Discussion in 'Books' started by Cedricke Dennis, Mar 4, 2020.

1. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

yup but at least he can compare the siggies

2. lloyd249

good find Lucille.b , i think i have an account at HA i will see if it is still active .

3. lloyd249

Sold for:$6,875.00includes Buyer's Premium (BP)
    also this was 7 years ago

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This signed magazine is similar!

Great you found that, although appears to still be for sale. (Maybe purchased for $6,875, then relisted?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-LUT...587839?hash=item25cd1668bf:g:IoEAAOSwB4NWzg8u

I think all of the text might have made it a bit more valuable than just an autograph, but good to compare signatures as you said!

EDIT: Lloyd, were you talking about the book or the magazine for the sold price? If magazine, that is helpful info for the OP for sure!

5. lloyd249

yes, and it is his book not a time mag .

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

For authentication, you might try to find a local newspaper that might have reported on his visit. Often the library has newspaper archives. I once found photos not published in an article I was featured in by contacting the newspaper.

7. lloyd249

post deleted

8. lloyd249

Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) is a leading third-party grading service for comic books, magazines and other collectibles.https://www.cgccomics.com/ they do a lot more than comics now that the fellow from pawn stars works for them
    But and it's a big one lol you have to pay for a membership first then send your stuff in at a cost ( probably about $300 for this (more or less ) ) and a six to eight month turn around time .

Steve Grad is his name
    reading up the latest on him , people are haters lol

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If it's signed to someone that increases the value to the family , but lowers it to collectors.... ( the famous Pawn Stars episode , where Chumly is tasked to get Dylans autograph on an album....but Dylan signed it 'To Chumly'....and Rick had a cow !!!!...)

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Daniel G

Daniel G Well-Known Member

Steve works for Becketts (BAS) and you do not need a membership to have autographs authenticated. There are three primary autograph authenticators that do most autographs: PSA/DNA (who Grad used to work for before being recruited by Becketts), JSA and Becketts. Other authenticators specialize and do great in a more limted space. TRACKS and REAL are music, for the most part while Frank Caiazzo is the Beatles expert. While CGC is part of a larger conglomerate including NGC (numismatics), Becketts is not part.

I recently sold a very nice MLK Jr. cut signature for $2500.

The best advice that I can offer is join this autograph forum https://live.autographmagazine.com/. Many of the best in the business are active participants and offer free opinions regarding authenticity and value.

Additionally, if you are going to list it with an auction house, many of the big boys will pay for the LOA (letter of authenticity) after they conduct their preliminary review. An MLK Jr signature costs $100 to authenticate through TPA’s.

11. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  12. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

If It was witnessed by the Pope would that be "Divine" provenance??? LOL.....

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No, the pope isn't divine.:D Neither is the Dalai Lama.:sorry:
    Provenance does not concern the person who witnessed it btw, it concerns previous owners etc.
    So if you have written or photographic evidence it was once owned by God (or another divinity), it would have divine provenance.:pompous: Obtaining such evidence would only be possible through divine providence.:playful:

14. lloyd249

and besides all that he already knows where it came from , op was more or less looking for a price on it and we can all see that they are all over the place just like everything else ,... why i don't like to tell someone what it's worth other than , it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it or check ebay prices ,and/or auction results .

15. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Why haven’t we seen the magazine? Just curious.

16. lloyd249

exactly what i was thinking

mmarco102 and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Cedricke Dennis

Cedricke Dennis New Member

i need help likes this.
  18. Cedricke Dennis

Cedricke Dennis New Member

I took a photo and tried to upload it but I get an error message saying “the file is too large“

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Must be 1 mb or less, you may have to re-size.

20. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Email it to yourself size medium. Then upload that version

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted