Featured I believe this is Trench Art from WWII, any other ideas?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by necollectors, Nov 10, 2019.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the term 'trench art' should be restricted to the products of the trenches in the First World War, and as Spring says, made from whatever odds and ends found lying around, usually shell cases or other brass.

Also, in general, these pieces will have an art nouveau or similar period style, reflecting people's tastes at the time.

Another characteristic, to qualify as 'trench art' is that the object is usually made by simple hand processes such as cutting and hammering.

I think it degrades the utility of language to extend the term 'trench art' to anything military from any conflict.

It is coincidental but significant to reaffirm the definition of trench art on Armistice Day, the 11th. of November.

SBSVC, Fid, Bakersgma and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

But no one can say what was actually made in the trenches as there were no records kept. Most pieces called trench art were made in villages by the local populations from war scrap. An enterprising soldier could even forge steel and make knife blades in the trenches.... https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/trench_art

I could probably made a number of items if I were in the trenches,but that was before my time and different circumstances.

HM1.gif

3. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

4. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Sadly I can't ask my relative as he has passed. But he was a designer, engineer for defense contractors after the war. He was a hobby artist as well. So knowing he was in the Battle of the Bulge, and his talent, I believe he was the one who made it. I have other pieces he made, that he told me he did during the war because he had access to the machine shop. It is a solid piece, not magnetic. He also told me he used scraps he found to produce the items. He also did toy soldiers. But because it isn't signed to attributed in any way to a war in isn't trench art, then? What would you call it? How do you value(other than sentimental) monitary value for items such as these?

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Hobbyist model aircraft.

Trench art is commonly defined as any decorative item made by soldiers, prisoners of war or civilians, where the manufacture is directly linked to armed conflict or its consequences.

Common articles that this includes are decorated shell and bullet casings and items carved from wood and bone.

To the uninitiated, all trench art, by definition, was made by a soldier sitting in a trench in France during the First World War, in the midst of a bombardment.
    To the cynics, it was all made in the 1920s by enterprising French and Belgian citizens. The reality is, naturally, a mix of these extremes, and everything in between, and spans conflicts from the Napoleonic Wars to the present day.

Fid likes this.
  6. necollectors

Just occurred to me, HIS father was in WWI was a Canadian Citizen and in the Canadian Army. would that make sense?

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No Spitfires in WWI, Biplanes.

lloyd249, komokwa and Fid like this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Calling Napoleonic war prisoner products 'trench art' is a step much too far. The category of 'Prisoner of war work' is well established and also quite distinctive once you become familiar with it. Some of the bone ship models from the period are astounding in their craftsmanship and accuracy, some really fine ones are on show in the national Maritime Museum at Greenwich.

I'm sticking with WWI period in a typical style for anything I'd call trench art. Others may and will use the term as they please.

gregsglass likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If your photos are OVER 1 MB then they will NOT upload!!!! NEED to be UNDER that size!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  10. necollectors

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The object looks to me very much like cast aluminum would. You need a Foundry to cast it, although there are individuals who set up small scale operations as a hobby.

Jivvy and Bakersgma like this.
  12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

and being aluminum, the toy was certainly not made during WWII

lloyd249 and Bakersgma like this.
  13. necollectors

YES...ty...I am aware.
    I do not believe it is a toy. Aluminum was discovered in 1825....
    Aluminum in WWII
    With the onset of World War II, aluminum became a key strategic metal. Primary uses of aluminum included the construction of aircraft frames, ship infrastructure, radar chaff and millions of mess kits. America’s supply of bauxite and readily available electricity for primary metal production resulted in soaring output that eventually topped the production levels of all of the Axis countries combined. On the homefront, aluminum recycling got an early start. “Tin foil drives” included an offer of free movie tickets in exchange for aluminum foil balls.

komokwa likes this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I once had this ashtray (7" wing span):
    Avro Model Lancaster Bomber Airplane Plane Ashtray Die Cast Diecast Metal -a.jpg

Jivvy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  15. necollectors

And in your humble opinion, what was it? Trench art?

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Definitely not trench art. Could have been a promotional thing from the manufacturer of the plane, but that's conjecture.

No maker's mark on the thing I had, but I'm confident that both the ashtray and the plane were cast - not a trench art technique.

It seems to me that trench art is hand fashioned from debris scavenged from a battlefield. It usually looks, at least in part, like the thing from which it was made.

IMO

lloyd249, Jivvy, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  17. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i agree , modern day cast aluminum ,these are the ones i have DSC00496.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted