Featured Identifying Gold Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kalinyx, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Kalinyx

Kalinyx New Member

I am trying to identify the maker and the age of this necklace. It belonged to a friend's grandmother and they are not sure if it was a gift for her wedding (1907) or something she acquired later in the 1930s or 1940s. It has the number "333" stamped on it which we've come to know means it's about 8K gold. My friend believes that this necklace is from Germany and it also has a maker's mark stamped on it, but we haven't had any luck in identifying the maker. The maker's mark appears to be an off-centered Star of David with the number 2 in the middle. We're currently guessing that it may be a German Jewish jeweler, but any help identifying the maker and the age is greatly appreciated. necklace.jpg Maker's Mark Close-Up.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a lovely, elegant necklace.
    Sorry, I can't find the Star of David mark, but 8k gold was used a lot in Germany, so that is certainly a possibility.
    There were many German Jewish goldsmiths, but the Star of David is not used exclusively by Jewish people.
    Delicate necklaces with nice detail on the links, like this one has, are typical of the period of the wedding. But if the extension chain, the part with the flattened links and the ball, is original to the necklace, it is later than 1907. It could have been added later, of course.

In case anyone is wondering, the Star of David mark is not an Israeli assay mark, they have a David's harp mark for gold.

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I love the necklace .. lovely delicate pretty design, Joy.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think it's later, if the spring ring is original; that design didn't start popping up until after WWII as far as I know. They were used earlier, but looked different.

Christmasjoy and Messilane like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

The spring ring clasp was introduced ca 1840, and evolved into the model we know now.
    I know the British continued to use those big, heavy spring rings well into the 20th century. I don't know about North America, but the smaller model was in use in continental Europe in the late 19th century.
    These are silver necklaces, the clasps on gold neclaces were smaller, but I'd have to do more digging to find a gold necklace. On the left a German ca 1890 necklace, on the right a French 1880s necklace (garnet and selenite), in the centre a 2010 pen:):
    upload_2017-9-21_10-57-57.jpeg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm sorry...the pen doesn't look that old !!! :playful::playful::playful:

7. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Sandra, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted