Featured Indian Brass Table "School of Art Jeypore"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Oct 19, 2017.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

BTW can anybody decipher what this says? DSCF2478 (Medium).JPG

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the workmanship is a delight !

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The text is in Devanagari, the script used for Sanskrit and many other Asian languages. It is probably an ode to Surya, possibly in Sanskrit.
    Sanskrit is an old Indian language, nowadays mostly used for religious texts. There are only about 1500 native speakers of Sanskrit, and I don't think we have anyone on the forum who is proficient in Sanskrit. Do you have a Hindu temple nearby?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Figtree3, komokwa, 808 raver and 2 others like this.
  4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Here I was thinking I'll help 808 raver and just pop over to the Devanagari translation website and work out what it said by finding those characters. Ended up here http://www.billie.grosse.is-a-geek.com/alphabet.html and half an hour later decided that I was glad it wasn't taught to me at school. I failed French and Latin and this would have been three for three.

808 rave find a Hindu temple and look for a really really old Indian guy.:D

Cheers
    Stephen

Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. 808 raver

Thanks so much all, its so much more information than i had on this piece or had gleaned thus far. I did try translating the script using Hindi online,but only one character seemed to match, I love this table, and will invest some time and effort to learn more about it..... Thanks for all the feedback and time you've put in to help :)

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. 808 raver

Ok so I did as told and messaged a admin of a Hindu facebook group and he has told me the inscription is a name "Shree Suraja nangra" or "Mr. Suraja nangra" he also says "it's a very important piece" but hasn't said why :( perhaps I will try to encourage him to elaborate. I have looked up both and the School of art Jeypore but nothing on the net :( but still I'm much further than I was before I posted on here. Any further info would be much appreciated :)

komokwa, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

All I've found so far is that the Orissa metalcrafts had a strong connection to the Maharajas.

judy and 808 raver like this.
  8. 808 raver

9. 808 raver

10. 808 raver

What is very surprising is that I can find a number of pieces marked SOAJ and nothing about their production :(

11. 808 raver

I looked at a youtube video about Orissa metal craft and the pieces seemed more utilitarian, not so finely done. Perhaps that regain is full of metalworkers and I just found the wrong video?

12. Any Jewelry

There is a present day school of arts in Jeypore, that was founded by one of the Maharajas. I'm sure they would make better quality items.

808 raver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted