Featured Insane $2320.00 Fostoria American Vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks for the link

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agree. Thank you. Would have never guessed. I will be looking now :) (just in case)

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Nice! Very well done.. Great find/buy!

4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

just out of interest, are these marked or signed in any way to identify ?

congrats as well !

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Same here! Putting these in my mental database!

Good on the auction house for IDing them properly. Vitry, great sale!

6. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the info, links and of course, your wonderful wisdom!
    This has been so much fun!

komokwa, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

most of those WP listings as porch vases are incorrect; currently looks like only 2 listings are correct. They seem to get confused with the shorter swung vases as well as other flared vases. The porch vases themselves are a bit confusing as the catalog describes both the large and small sizes as 8"-10" tall; the size difference is on the diameter where is large is 7"-8" diameter and the small is 5"-6". That 2056 site could do a better job describing the porch and swung vase.

Here's the catalog page showing the porch vases; note that the number of rows of cubes appears to be 6 for the larger size and 5 for the smaller size; tho' the height noted is the same for both sizes. So, porch vases seem to just be shorter versions of swung vases.

45996[1].jpg

and a catalog page with swung vases:

46003[1].jpg

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This pattern was never signed as far as I am aware.

It is a pretty distinctive pattern though with that "stacked cube-like" pattern.

If you look at the catalog page that @TallCakes posted above you can see the cube-like pattern on most of the pieces. However, the 2 "porch vases" & the "swung vase" have been "stretched out" so that the distinctive pattern is not quite as obvious, especially in the middle. :happy::happy:

This pattern was also made from 1915 till 1986 so there is a lot of it out there. The pieces that usually command the highest prices are the ones that were included in the original line & eventually discontinued because for example at a certain point, ladies stopped storing their gloves in fancy boxes. ;):p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

9. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I always hear a pair is worth 3x a single. That said you did well and will still sell the slightly imperfect one for a lot I am sure! Great score!

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if ...such things ever came in , or were marketed as a pair....

& right about now.....I'm considering that the chip...to the inside bottom edge....where ever the hell that is..... is not the outside top rim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

DSCN4797.JPG
    6 inches across the top
    no cigar

12. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I always have a single shelf of American in one of my booths. Candlesticks, jugs, salt & pepper, toothpick, cream & sugar with underplate, platter and other smaller serving pieces or unusual bits that I find. Plates and most wines/sherbets and that ilk sit forever. This time of year is when I sell the most but it seldom sells quickly. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for porch cases though, I had no idea!

Linda

Figtree3, bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted