Featured Is Everything But The House (EBTH.com) Legitimate?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Patrick Barr, Jul 11, 2015.

?

Is EBTH Legitimate?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Kelly Clayborn

Kelly Clayborn New Member

Wait until you have a bad experience then your nightmare will begin!!

Y.M. likes this.
  2. Kelly Clayborn

3. Laurenj529

Laurenj529 New Member

I've been an EBTH customer for several months, excited about the opportunity to easily watch sales and purchase items for local pick up in Dallas, TX, thus not having to pay shipping. Without notifying their customers, EBTH changed their format to instead of local warehouses storing all products listed under sales listed IN dallas, to now sending them up to Blue ash, OH because they said they can ship quicker out of their distribution center. This defeats my entire reason to use the app. Not only that, you have to check every item bc some are still local. I've also seen them incorrectly list a TN sale in Dallas. Sucks for the owner of the goods, they probably didn't get as much sold. I also have a friend who had a ton of extra art and gave to EBTH to sell, in which they had to do in two separate sales. If your item doesn't sell they keep it. Halfway during the sale they moved the location from being listed under dallas to listed under blue ash (even though they had already moved the merchandise to blue ash) to try and get more interest. The second sale they were to list in OH to begin with and it showed up on the app but not on the website. Seems hard to keep up with, especially if you're trying to sell stuff with them.. some of the bidding conveniently goes up at 3am when a sale first comes on...although shill bidding isn't permitted. wonder what they do with what doesn't sell.

Y.M. likes this.
  4. Speedwell

Speedwell New Member

They are crooks!

Y.M., antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  5. Y.M.

Y.M. New Member

I am in total agreement with you! They lie about their items posted on line and they lie about the shipping costs. The management team is incompetent beyond believe. It was pure luck brought them all the sellers and buyers but they will have to face the reality of losing everything because of their unethical practice.

antidiem likes this.
  6. Y.M.

Y.M. New Member

I would not recommend this company to anyone on the planet of the earth! I have had such bad experience with them. EBTH has also sent us three items that should belong to someone else who won these items on EBTH online auction, but they showed up at our house! We kept telling them these were not our items and we would like to send them back. It has been more than a month since they said that they would arrange a courier to pick these items but that never happened. This is how they treat their customers? People paid for these items, and they couldn't care less that these items went to the wrong household? OMG!

antidiem likes this.
  7. alleystang

alleystang New Member

I have experienced more than one time, having items I bid on and “won”, delivered (which has never been cheap), arrive with what seems as though the box(s) have intentionally destroyed, and yet or file a claim is an extreme hassle. Yes, sometimes you can get extremely great prices, but unless you live close to where you pick up your items not only is it expensive to be shipped, the arrival is an awful, hassle, time wasting, experience. I have learned my lesson. It’s just not a pleasant experience ever.

antidiem likes this.
  8. Pinko Pallino

Pinko Pallino New Member

I think that EBTH has an army of fake “bidders” to ramp up the auction price early then drop out. Why would anyone place a bid days early in the auction knowing that the real action takes place at T-minus 5 minutes before the end of the auction when the real bidders show up, and knowing that placing a bid within the last 5 minutes extends the auction??
    FAKE...

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  9. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

if i lived in Cincinnati I might find it irresistible. things do go for 2 dollars and it is free pickup

10. Kelly Clayborn

11. Kelly Clayborn

I’ve gotten several items from EBTH in Denver but that one seems to have disappeared? The pick up items always went great but shipping is another story. So I had won several items from different auctions and great prices. When it came time to ship it was extremely expensive!! Also, things would get lost prior to shipping. I had gotten the feeling things got “accidentally “ lost if the auction price wasn’t high enough. YES, I had things I won reposted for sale again! When questioning them they said they would lk into it but never did or responded back. The worst nightmare was a grandfather clock that was in working condition shipped to me. Either EBTH or the shipping company took internal parts of the clock out and shipped in a separate box. It never stated that in the shipping, I was furious! It’s been 3 years, clock sits in my living room still unassembled. It will cost $300 to put it back together. EBTH would not pay for it and were jerks about it. I stopped doing business with them cuz I was getting a bad feeling about the company along with reading reviews which were horrible!! So YES, BUYER BEWARE!!

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Kelly, I believe some time within the last year EBTH announced they were closing some of their locations and were consolidating most of their work into Ohio. So that's probably what happened to the Denver site.

14. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Its been probably at least 2 years since they announced their intention to ship everything out of the Cincinnati location. Have no idea what their business plan is/was but that seemed to very questionable idea. They must make a lot on shipping. Shipping costs made it virtually impossible for resale people.

WIth the current corona virus going on, it has forced nearly everyone to go online for better or worse. IT will change the industry immensly as some auctioneers are doing better than ever. Some are having a hard time with the online technology and they are suffering. In any case it seems to have made things more competitive. FOR INSTANCE: auction house are now much better with pickup times. SOme of them have found it better to offer shipping virtually AT COST. They are finding the increase in business makes up for the cost.

I am guessing that these changes will put EBTH in bad place because people will see their shipping charges are insane. BUt I never understood how they could continue in the first place. Well I do. Usually when I picked up I would talk to other buyers and most of them are not resellers they are little old ladies who are more like the people who buy on QVC and not hard core resellers. That is their market.

They are pretty good about returns.the rest of the complaints above I agree with.

Firemandk likes this.
  15. Intothefire37

Intothefire37 New Member

Very very strong suspicion of shill bidding by them. Bid on several items. Within hours, all items well over $100 and outbid on one. The items aren't ending for days. Wish I could turn them in to someone for shill bidding. It's pretty obvious.

16. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

you should not discount the idea of people with coupons for the site. They would often hand out coupons to people if they had to wait at a pickup or there was some other mistake, like the item was broken. The first flip I ever made they had given me a $20 coupon for joining and I picked up a wine poster for basically $5 with the coupon. Then resold that.

I know another person who said her father had made an art out of setting up multiple accounts and claiming more coupons. I dont recommend doing this just saying.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted