Featured Is this table 18th c ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daniel oshaughnessy, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

cxgirl, James Conrad and Malcolm like this.
  2. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Darkwing Manor

I think we need some dimensions.

Aquitaine and James Conrad like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

If that is real wear on the stretchers it looks like it was used as a stool...

Aquitaine and Darkwing Manor like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not a clue, one thing for sure, it's not traditional "nulling" carving

Yes, it looks more like a revival stool to me as well, no dimensions so......

Aquitaine and scoutshouse like this.
  7. James Conrad

Yep, Thar She Blowsssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
    Dead on match, this table is a revival stool that has lived a hard life or, someone distressed it for unknown reasons.

8. James Conrad

If you are looking for a period 18th century American tavern table, there are ALWAYS some for sale these days and pretty reasonable price wise.
    Here is a 1st quarter 18th century table coming to market in a few days at Skinner with impeccable provenance, Ex Roger Bacon. Estimate is 1-3k
    Twenty years ago, this table would have sold in 10-15k range easily.
    https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/skinner/turned-maple-and-pine-table-1691716

6061292(2).jpeg

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  9. James Conrad

Or if budget is smaller, here is another, estimate $800-1200 with bids starting at just $400. which it could sell for considering feet issue.
    "Provenance: Property Approved for Deaccession by the Board of Trustees of Historic Deerfield, Inc. Proceeds to the benefit the Museum Collections Fund."

As you can see, feet are ended out/replaced so that matters on pricing. Still, it is period and a good buy if it sells for anywhere near estimate.
    https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/skinner/turned-maple-and-pine-tavern-table-1703067

6110695(2).jpeg

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  10. James Conrad

If you are trying to purchase a period 18th century table that is in reasonable condition for $100. or so, that's just not happening. That's a fantasy, prices are down but, not down that much.

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  11. Darkwing Manor

OY! I haven't put on THAT much weight!

James Conrad likes this.
  12. James Conrad

13. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

The one on Worthpoint sold for $1058 in 2005, meaning it might fetch $250 right now, and this one was in very good shape.

14. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

Who said that? I was asking about the age of the table, not my budget. And yes sometimes you can find great pieces for cheap. Found a really nice 18th c sack back windsor for 20 at a thrift store. Sold a set of mahogany regency dining chairs on chairish for 5 grand, payed 150 for them at a thrift store, so yes it does happen. https://www.chairish.com/product/id/1058168. People on antiques roadshow find amazing things at yard sales. But thank you for your knowledge on furniture and the info.

15. James Conrad

LOL, I SHOULD have known! :hilarious:
    It appears Daniel is a junk dealer posing as a civilian, dragging more junk in here fishing for information in order to resell to an unknowing buyer.
    I can't get to the iggy button fast enough!
    I am beginning to understand why so many in here are anonymous.:joyful:

scoutshouse likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LIKE this one @James Conrad, but sure as all get-out, TO ME at least, looks like it's had a good refinishing and dark staining ALL OVER it, including the underside!!!!:rolleyes::smuggrin:

17. Darkwing Manor

Wow, what neighborhood do YOU live in? All the thrift stores here have nasty furniture!

James Conrad likes this.
  18. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

@Daniel oshaughnessy so I assume this means you are a seller on chairish? How did it work to ship six chairs? Does chairish get involved or does the seller or buyer have to arrange shipping? Is it a PITA or do they make it easy?

19. Daniel oshaughnessy

Yes, I collect and I do sell on chairish. Chairish handles all the shipping, it is freight shipping, very easy to sell on.

20. Daniel oshaughnessy

I collect and yes I do sell on chairish and other platforms. I was asking about this piece for myself not for resale. I do not sell junk. So you are calling me a junk dealer and a liar. Does that make you feel better, superior? You sir are an uppity A hole! Bet you live alone and have no friends, sad ):

Draft saved Draft deleted