Featured It has a Blenko sticker, but is it Blenko, please?>

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andy McConnell, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Andy McConnell

Andy McConnell New Member

G2S. Yep, I'd have paid £95 for it.... Shame it's not really a decanter, but it looks great on my FB page! https://www.facebook.com/andy.mcconnell.961. Thanks for going to the [repeated] effort/s. a.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of resources for you to research Blenko items.

The Blenko company website has put up PDF's of catalogs It looks like they have gotten catalogs from 1953-2015 posted. Hopefully they will post some more earlier catalogs as those are the more difficult to find anywhere else

https://blenko.com/catalogs/

This site also has a good collection of catalogs, and until Blenko started posting them to their website, it was my online go to. They do have 1951 & 1952 catalogs

http://www.blenkoproject.org/home

One last site that I refer to is the Blenko4 website. They have examples of colors and the years produced as well as other good info.

http://www.blenkocollectors.com/welcome.html

3. msgood2shoe

Rainbow was my first thought on the blue decanter as well.

4. msgood2shoe

Pilgram, followed by Kanawha are also possible suspects for makers of the blue, but Rainbow is still my first guess. I did look in Pina's "Color Along the River" book which shows more makers but didn't see this shape.

BTW, that book shows the face vase on display at the Blenko Visitor Center, though no new info was given on it.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

People, may I introduce one of the UK's absolutely foremost glass experts, who is a regular on The Real Antiques Roadshow? He is being modest. ;)

johnnycb09, judy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

OK !!
    Who ?

:playful::playful::playful::playful:

( we like modest here !! :):))

judy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Andy McConnell! ;)

judy likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think you should use it as your avatar here. Gee, think the Blenko group will let you in? :hilarious:

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

OBB,

I thought you were the UK Glass Expert ;)

judy, komokwa, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

No way, you mean he's not using a pseudonym? Well well! Welcome Andy!

judy, komokwa, aaroncab and 1 other person like this.
  11. Andy McConnell

Hi again, everybody. Thanks very much for your input & I find it reassuring that those who know much, much than me about this general subject are struggling too! Thanks again for your efforts. A.

PS: I very much like our show to be known as the 'Real' one. I've seen some of yours...& am delighted & relieved to be playing for 'our' side rather than 'theirs'!

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Well I'm back from the dentist $1900 poorer and I didn't get a lollipop or even a new toothbrush. It's actually less than I thought it would be, though, and the office was punctual about treating me and very professional.

I see a lot has happened in my absence. Here we have a celebrity and I'm still in my sweats and curlers! I will now refer to our American Roadshow version as "that pale imitation to the real one."

I do have some good news to report. I believe I've found the blue decanter. It is Rainbow. Source is "Crackle Glass Identification & Value Guide - Book II" by Stan and Arlene Weitman, pg. 99. Please forgive the fingers. Those are mine not the Weitmans'.

IMG_20180328_182514438.jpg

judy, SBSVC, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Good show for someone loaded up with lidocaine!

judy and dgbjwc like this.
  14. msgood2shoe

Thanks for the verification that our instincts were correct that the blue decanter is Rainbow. Sorry about your dentist visit and expense.

dgbjwc and judy like this.
  15. Andy McConnell

Hi again guys. Well, that's another question answered. $1,900? Wot did you have done, a total amputation? Thanks very much for your efforts & input. Pip-pip, A.

16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Yes, actually you could think of it as a total amputation. And it was one of my favorite teeth. $1900 bought me a new partial denture, an extraction, the initial evaluation, x-rays, cleaning, and oral cancer screening. I had a coupon so got a pretty good discount on the eval, x-rays, etc. Extraction and bridge work hasn't been done yet. I've got a couple of appointments scheduled for next week to get that going. Still to be determined is what to do about two abscesses on my lower molars (which are already capped and have had root canals). Another couple of hundred there I imagine.

This isn't my first rodeo. I've sent more than one dentist on a Caribbean cruise. I've gotten to the point I can read my own dental x-rays. Oh, and I am a huge believer in painless dentistry. I tell them right up front that I'm a biter. If they want to take out as many fingers as they put in...

I am glad I was able to help with your project. I'm far from an expert but have invested in a pretty good library. There are folks on this board who are true experts in their fields. I just try to help where I can. Thank you for your work and for sharing that work - it let's me and others like me to make our own small contributions to helping folks appreciate the glass they have.

Best of luck to you and your project.
    Don

judy and SBSVC like this.
  17. Andy McConnell

Thanks, Don, it's been swell. I've just been commissioned by The Daily Telegraph to write an obit for Ulrika Hyman Vallien, the Swedish glass designer who died a couple of days ago. So, sorry, but I've gotta go. Give my love to your teeth [sound slike they could do with all the help they can get]. Cheers! A.

18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Guess who I just saw on telly! Our public TV station showed a portion of a show where our new friend appraised a covered goblet at 5000 pounds.
    Don

19. Andy McConnell

Hi Don. That sounds like Leeds Town Hall, years ago. The old boy thought it was a vase, but in fact, a heavy baluster goblet, dating c1710. He sold it & that's wot he got for it. If so, that programme is so old it might quality as an antique in its own right. A.

judy likes this.
  20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's a bit strange how they run the show here. Our PBS station runs a Father Brown mystery at 10 p.m. on Saturday. Because there are no commercials Father Brown ends about 10:45 p.m. and they fill the fifteen minute gap with old appraisals. Then Keeping Up Appearances at 11 and As Time Goes By at 12. The shows are all old but they hold up well. I can recite most of the lines with the characters but what else is there to watch on Saturday night?
    Don

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted