Featured Ivory sign

Discussion in 'Art' started by Tristan334, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Tristan334

Tristan334 Member

I agree with all_fakes. Seems the darker shaded areas are intended to give the appearance of age, but are too uniform.

After seeing a lot of the pictures I would say that it is 'marfilina', a composition of ivory powder, bone, silicates and resin. Attached photos of pieces executed with this material.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Marfilinas-figuras-religiosas-528.jpg Marfilina-virgen_de_la_leche-513.jpg Marfilinas-Virgen_con_nino-544.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Google is not showing me anything described as being both SELI. FRAM & marble, even when I search specifically for that. Could you provide links for any such that you found? Which search engine do you use?

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Upon closer looks at the links I found, I don't see any "marble" either; but do see the Spanish "marfil" which translates as "ivory."
    I like Tristan's "marfilina" idea.

2manybooks and Bronwen like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think one safe conclusion is not to buy anything identified as ivory unless you can hold it in your hand and confirm that it is actually ivory. The seller of at least one of the Seli Fram pieces tried to assure potential buyers that it was made before the ivory ban, and even offered to provide a CITIES certificate for an extra fee of 50 euros.

I am sorry we have not been able to solve the Seli. Fram mystery.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and all_fakes like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bronwen, komokwa and all_fakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted