Featured Klondike and Amberette

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DeAnne, Oct 9, 2018.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Just a quick search on the internet that seems to be all that comes up in frosted. The cabbage butter, a dove dish, pig drum, rose petal shades.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  3. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Yeah but turtles cool, that's just a silly dish with a leaf on top LOL

4. Bronwen

i need help likes this.
  5. Bronwen

It's got dolphins, seashells. But of course, with Eddy & Woodside in the bathtub, I'm a sucker for turtles/tortoises. I have a number of decorative items around the house that are something riding on the back of a turtle. A refrigerator magnet has a frog going by turtle to the moon.

DeAnne likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Now this one is rare: https://www.ebay.com/itm/323439273952
    There used to be one of the turtles that showed up in search results that was also painted this way. Never knew if it came from the shop that way or work of some hobbyist. Doesn't seem PV quality work.

i need help likes this.
  7. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I am going to say hobbyist painted that by the paint under the rim.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

You might still find yours is very rare until one pops up I would be careful just in case.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  10. Bronwen

I have never seen a single example of the Articles décorés à froid. Wonder what that means, exactly. I can only think of cold enamel. Something to watch for. On the next page, #3828, is the one with the dolphins & shells. Big leap from the B&W catalogue of 1907 & the color of the following year. In 1907 & 08 they do not seem to have made colorless pieces.

11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Cold Decorated would indicate the piece was not fired (to set the enamel), but the enamel cured at room temperature.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bronwen

So it sounds not much different from enamel paint? It isn't vitreous, would that be correct?

Realized I do have some photos, not the best. The one that had color & mine, which has none.

vallerysthal turtle 2B.jpg Vallerysthal turtle mine (3)B.JPG

Bakersgma and SBSVC like this.
  13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Maybe use Pâte de Verre instead of frosted in your search? This one is described as
    forme de tortue en verre (clear) pâte = paste

Pâte de Verre will have a velvety feel, while etched will feel... gritty?

Fun page (I think) I translated for you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Bronwen and i need help like this.
  14. scoutshouse

Oh dear...

[​IMG]

15. scoutshouse

I agree with @DeAnne , yours is a turtle with a snail finial! Ain't no topping that!

Tops that compote, or whatever it is!

16. Bronwen

Thanks for all the work everyone has been putting in on this one. The glass site looks great. Have to run right now & won't be back for hours, but will give it all a good look when I'm home again. My high school French gets me through most of it.

17. Bronwen

@scoutshouse Poked around on the French glass site from your link. There's a bare bones history that's very sketchy about the years 1900 - 1918, with no mention at all of the war.

https://leverreetlecristal.wordpress.com/tag/vallerysthal/

We know the tortoise & snail butter dish design goes back at least to 1907. It would be one of the objets en verre soufflé moulé, ou pressé moulé de très belle qualité.

18. Bronwen

It wouldn't be correct, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been used. Ran into this interesting discussion on pdv on this site about 3D printing:

https://depts.washington.edu/open3dp/2009/10/pate-de-verre-or-not-maybe-not-its-estampage/

This cameo of Mary Magdalen is also on my cameo thread. I think she's pâte de verre:

GuercinoMagdalen3.jpg

I went to check, expecting to find the tortoise is frosted on the outside & smooth on the inside. Both surfaces have been subjected to whatever the process is for doing that, making it really misty looking.

19. Bronwen

20. scoutshouse

I have no French, non!

Anywhoo, pate de verre is not the technique, but I do see it used to describe that super soft surface. Probably acid etched. FSR I was fixed on sand blast type ETCHING.

Face it, your clear etched turtle is rare!

Bronwen, i need help and DeAnne like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted