Featured Lacquer boxes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Jan 18, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

390E5BF5-3C10-457C-A3BF-C049EA300C35.jpeg What is the proper term for these boxes? Thanks!

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Palekh lacquer box, or casket

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These are lovely!

Christmasjoy, kyratango and J Dagger like this.
  5. J Dagger

They are beautiful! Here’s a few more pics. They’re going to be at a sale I’m going to. Any standouts? C7DCFD9C-0E0C-4E6C-9370-CC6FF1509DF3.jpeg CF24E4E6-6DE7-473C-B74F-2E3DE9A6F2ED.jpeg 5B53A223-74D1-4049-BB19-9BCA1F78268D.jpeg 502AF55F-2B82-4510-9930-7131BA9C7F59.jpeg

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they are all nice , but hard to tell age though....
    check prices online 1st....cuz they vary wildly..

i need help, judy, J Dagger and 2 others like this.
  7. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Also, check that they are all hand painted and hopefully signed. We have a collection and have seen ones with pictures stuck on which are good at first glance. They all look OK though.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The plain one at the back isn't Russian. It's a nice wee late Georgian snuff box. May be tortoiseshell, with ivory stringing.

9. J Dagger

I’ll say! I’ll be very conservative. Unsure what makes a $1k box, a $100 box, and a $10 box. I’m sure quality will become a bit more apparent in person but I’ll be careful either way.

10. J Dagger

Thanks for heads up!

11. komokwa

12. J Dagger

Thanks! I went a bit crazy and grabbed a handful of them. The sale was nutty with at least 175 people taking numbers to get in. Long waits outside on a very cold morning. If you wanted something you kinda had to grab and figure out later if you didn’t know what you were looking at to begin with. Hopefully I didn’t do too bad but I probably overpaid a tad. Ended up paying an average of $20 each. If there’s one winner I’ll be happy. They are great to look at and will make nice gifts if the value isn’t there. All are signed with some being dated early 80’s or 70’s.

13. komokwa

the big one, the guy slaying the dragon, the snowy winter scene and the pair nicely dressed in the snow with her skirt blowing....those were my picks...or favorites...
    20 bucks a box..........even for the smaller ones that sounds like a bargain..

14. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Looks like you got some good buys there.

15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

They are ALL beautiful .. my favourite is the larger box with the four ladies .. you got a GREAT buy J Dagger, WELL DONE, Joy. :):):)

J Dagger, judy and i need help like this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The dragon slayer is Saint George.

J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. komokwa

Not Game of Thrones ???? u sure ? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

18. J Dagger

Well I got the dragon slayer St. George at least :). Hopefully I do ok with them! I felt good enough about them to buy them but still unsure.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  19. J Dagger

That was the only box they had priced well above the others when I got there. It was priced at $60. I didn’t want to get too close to that number and it was hard to ask for too much off stuff that was on the checkout table since it was mobbed by at least ten people trying to check out at all times. They didn’t want everyone to know they were discounting too heavily yet. I had to literally whisper to sale runner to get 40% off a different item lol. Pretty sure it will still be there on the second day “rain date”. Maybe I’ll grab it then. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. komokwa

that's a nicely painted one.....
    now....show off the rest !!!

Christmasjoy and J Dagger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted