Featured Ladies pocket watch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Puffy1971, Oct 22, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It is wonderful for you to share your in depth knowledge of watches and clocks. This is so fascinating. Thank you.

kyratango, KSW and komokwa like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

knowledge of watches and clocks

No point leaving it in a brain that will relatively soon be useless jelly to be disposed of. :)

Figtree3, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I hope not too soon. :):):)

KSW and kyratango like this.
  4. afantiques

Thanks for the last batch of likes that got me over 10,000. I can now send my old brain to the recycling center feeling appreciated. :)

Bookahtoo, Figtree3, KSW and 4 others like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Now you have a few more likes, to start on the next 10,000. I always enjoy reading your posts, although my brain hasn't absorbed much of the information about watches and clocks that you have shared through the years. :)

KikoBlueEyes and kyratango like this.
  6. afantiques

Thank you. Sometimes it is surprising what you recall when you need it. May it be so for you, and others.

KikoBlueEyes, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is certainly true. It is wonderful when that happens!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

WW1 was really the start of the wrist watch, being used by the military. The watch industry was not prepared for this new fashion which took hold at the conclusion of the war.. Millions (?) of pocket and lapel watches were in inventory or in production. People had jewelers add a loop opposite the winder in order to add a wrist strap. The sellers probably added loops in order to capitalize on this new market. In the early days the strap usually consisted of a ribbon with end fittings. These did not usually survive the test of time. The watch that you have was probably a lapel watch originally. I would date it to the early 1920's. It is probably more sale-able as a lapel watch today.

kyratango likes this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I recently got this bracelet (not precious, but very ornate white and gilt metal) Resized_20191021_114139002.jpeg Resized_20191021_114148001.jpeg which allows a 30mm pocket watch to be worn on the wrist!
    Stunning, never ever seen this before:woot:, only ribbon straps with a spring spider grasp to hold the watch...

Puffy1971, Arlene_V, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is GORGEOUS. I would be thinking of replacing the watch with a large amethyst. I course I am a little weird.:rolleyes:
    greg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

What a great find. I've never seen one like this either. It was probably quite cheap and prone to malfuctioning and therefore not many survived. It's very nice and would be a great addition to a numerologist's collection. I'm in agreement with greg. If you are unable to find a watch that fits. I would be prone to insert (loose) a stone and use the bracelet. Myself, I would lean toward a nice agate cab.

what a wonderful find

kyratango likes this.
  12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thanks both!
    It is so unusual, I consider it as a document:bookworm::)
    Of course, in case I encounter a nice stone of convenient size... I'll install it and wear!:joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted