Featured Large carved oak? wood box - age? what was its original use - jewelry? makeup?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

In addition, if it were mine, I would thumbtack a retaining ribbon on the inside of one side (at least), making sure that you have clearance to replace the tray. It's too iffy as to over opening the lid and splitting the wood or pulling the screws. It must have had some safeguard when made, as the box looks very well made, and they certainly wouldn't have overlooked that detail.

bercrystal likes this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I am sorry for the delay in responding to all of the suggestions that have been posted but the last few days have been a little crazy.

I would like to thank everyone who has responded to this inquiry!! They have all been well received. :happy::happy::kiss::kiss::kiss:

I do this @Gus Tuason might be on the right track with the pocket watch idea. I did some searching & I found several examples with the same type of insert.

The design & the color of the materials used does look more masculine.

I also pulled back the material in the lid & found that attached to the wood frame are 2 metal spring-like assemblies that would have held either a mirror or possibly a brush in place. There is also a sharp-pointed spot on the wood piece opposite the snap metal piece that might have secured some type of strap that would have held the handle portion of the mirror/brush in place.

I will get a photo of the spring assembly a little later today hopefully & post the photo here.

Thank you again!! :kiss::kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted