Featured Linen Bonnet Help Please

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Marie Forjan, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

A few more showing close ups:

Close up of the back seam from the inside:
    LinenBonnetStitchInsideBk.jpg

Close up of the back seam from the outside:
    LinenBonnetSeamBkOut.jpg

Close up of the brim attached to the front from the outside:
    LinenBonnetStitchBrim.jpg

Any Jewelry, judy and antidiem like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would think the stains could be removed.

I know what I would try, but I doubt that antique clothing people would agree.

judy and antidiem like this.
  3. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I would love to see you modeling it.........;)

antidiem likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Oh dear, I am afraid it is a bit small for me!

Christmasjoy, stracci and judy like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

As it isn't mine I am not going to try, I will leave it to whoever buys it :)

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi! What a charming piece! Love the color and the style!

Unfortunately, it does not look like handmade lace to me. It has the look of **"Schliffli" lace. The petal shapes are clearly meant to mimic handmade bobbin lace "leaves"... but are too loose to have been made by hand.

** Schliffli Lace is made by embroidering on machine-made net or on a fabric which is dissolved away by chemicals ('chemical' lace) or burned away by heat ('burnt out' lace). The Schiffli embroidery machine was invented by Isaac Groebli in 1865.

The bubbles (circles) are impossible to have been made with bobbin techniques. There is way too much going on on the straight edges to be handmade and the "Greek Key" element... is also impossible to be worked as a bobbin element and have that "look".

Meaning; yes, you could make a Greek Key element in bobbin lace - but it wouldn't look padded like that.

I can send examples if you wish; but... I'm pretty certain that the lace is machine made. That said; it is darling!

If I can answer any other questions or be of help; please feel free to respond.

Leslie

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Do you recognize the gimp/trim on the brim of the cap?

Northern Lights Lodge and judy like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

OK, a little family history...

My friend’s side of the family that the bonnet came from is English and have been in New England since the mid 1600s. She has traced her family back past Rodger Conant who came from England and was one of the founding fathers of Salem MA. The family has lived in MA since (not New Hampshire).

She believes the bonnet was owned by one of his descendants named Martha who lived from 1858 to 1909. If, as has been suggested here, the bonnet dates to the Civil War era, Martha was only 7 when the war ended, so maybe it’s from after the Civil War. It is small, though too large for a baby or small child, so maybe it’s for an older child or pre teen? I doubt it would have been Martha’s mother’s, unless she’s was very, very tiny, since she would have been in her 20s during the Civil War.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts, digging into this has been fun...and my friend tells me they are still going through all the “stuff” they have so I will be seeing more :)

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Civil War Era could still be used as a descriptive.
    If Martha was 7 in 1865, five years later, she's 12 that's still the Reconstruction.

antidiem likes this.
  10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Specifically no... but it has the traits of a machine made braid.

Leslie

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You mentioned things are a bit sketchy. Does she know when they actually acquired it, and from whom it came? There have to be some known facts. Why does she think it belonged to the person born in 1858?

12. Figtree3

Oh, and @bluumz had asked to see the close up pictures, but she hasn't made any further comments since they were posted. So, paging @bluumz

13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I thought so too..

While I think the fabric itself likely handmade, I have not got enough tatting experience to know what I am looking at there. I think the braided trim makes it look like a table napkin made into a hat. :shy:

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm unsure on this piece. The long basting thread, fairly poor construction, clunky lace, and odd edge trim just seem... I don't know. It just seems cobbled together. I'm even wondering if it could be a reenactment piece put together using some old/odd bits. I could be way off... Sorry that I can't be more help!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

OH SNAP!! bluumz, what a brain you've got! It never occurred to me.
    That could explain the table napkin cobbled appearance!

bluumz and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Marie Forjan

I will ask her if anyone in her family was into reenactments :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Things were just handed down from generation to generation in her family and ended up with her. She has a lot of old photos but none showing anyone wearing the bonnet.

We were working not he possibility that the bonnet may date from the Civil War and Reconstruction era. That relative would be the only one who would have been of an age at the right time to wear something too large for a young child but too small for an adult.

18. Figtree3

Thank you -- I hope you figure it out.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Having grown up with seamstresses in my family and taking 8 years of sewing in 4H I also was getting the feeling it was pieced together from disparate parts. I'm certainly not an expert, but I've got trunks full of 'soft' antiques from my mother's family that only go back to the late 1800s and this doesn't look much older than that to me, but I'm not seeing it in person. The thread is also a good indicator of age. Do you know Maureen Leavenworth who owns Vintage in Vogue? Unfortunately, you can't take it to her right now, but she is an amazing resource for vintage clothing. Tish who works for her is also very knowledgable but she's stuck at home as well. When things finally open up, you could ask either of them.

20. Marie Forjan

I know them both but I've been worried about Maureen. She just opened her third shop about 2 months ago and then the virus hit! I haven't wanted to bother her right now when she has, I am sure, a lot to deal with. But thanks Bev for the suggestions :)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted