Featured Linen Bonnet Help Please

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Marie Forjan, Mar 27, 2020.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Be sure to update us if you get an answer from either of them.

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you want Tish's phone number I can get it to you, but she has health issues so she's in for the duration. I'm going to save your photos and text them to her. She may have an idea.

clutteredcloset49 and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Just sent all the photos to Tish. I don't have Maureen's email but maybe Tish will forward them.

clutteredcloset49 and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Not to worry Bev, I know both Tish and Maureen and can contact them at any time. I appreciate the suggestion, thank you!

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Found this on another site today. Similar style.

79732859_10222715369903113_6188435574492914013_n.jpg 106372907_10222715369983115_2127200286356415198_n.jpg

6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi @ Bev That is a really stunning cap! That one has the look of "Flemish" about it! The fabric looks linen... and the lace quite handmade. The lace around the bottom edge looks very Flemish in origin. Although the pattern itself looks different; it reminds me of this pattern - commonly known as the "shoe" pattern. IMG_Flemish shoe.JPG
    Fun stuff! Leslie

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not to my eyes. Marie's bonnet is a beauty, but this one is in a completely different league, absolutely gorgeous!
    The construction of this one is very different. It has no back panel but is gathered at the back, and the long lace ribbons are essential to the look and wearing of the bonnet.
    Agree!
    In the Low Countries there was an evolution in the construction of the bonnet, according to different 'structural' types. That is why it is important to note whether there is a back panel or whether the back was gathered, or there was simply a seam at the back, connecting the two sides of a bonnet.
    These diagrams show the four basic types of bonnet construction.

upload_2020-6-29_15-17-16.jpeg

As you can see, one of the most famous Low Countries bonnets is of the simplest type, with only a back seam. It is the Volendam 'hul':

[​IMG]

bluumz likes this.
  8. Northern Lights Lodge

Not quite the same thing... but similar. This one is a Flemish lacemaker (I think)...

fd8cfc380078a208c27b6d3b0ad5e123.jpg

5a95b9604d15dd32df53522fff517673.jpg This one is French... not quite the same - but close.

Leslie

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You are right, either Antwerp Province in Belgian Brabant or the neighbouring southwestern part of Dutch Brabant. Belgian Brabant is often seen as part of Flanders. (We Brabanders don't agree :playful:)

This one is from Dutch Brabant, it doesn't have lace because this one was worn when in mourning, when lace was thought too frivolous
    [​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Northern Lights Lodge

Ooh, isn’t that marvelous! A lovely cap!
    I love your comment!
    Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted