Looking for REO parts

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by NickRobin, Apr 29, 2019.

1. NickRobin

NickRobin Why buy new when you can fix old.

Hey, I am looking for anything that has to do with 1930-1931 REO Flying Cloud Sedans or anything from the 20s that the company has been involved with.
    Not any of the postcards that you can find everywhere, but things like parts, paperwork, tools, ect.

Hopefully I am posting this correctly. Anyways show me what you’ve got. Thanks.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's in the right Forum !!! :happy:
    Check back on occasion to see if anyone comes up with items you need.
    It might be helpful to post where you are .....so that someone from afar knows what's involved in sending you a quarter panel...:playful::playful::playful::playful:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. NickRobin

F580A81F-B119-4CC8-8FC7-C37A689742B8.jpeg 20DC7F0E-CB85-43A0-8780-42F9B9665D92.jpeg B8CA73F1-6B58-4AD4-9C34-797735465F35.jpeg 93F440A4-E895-49ED-B531-1C968A77AF55.jpeg 7FF012DB-6BDC-449E-AFE2-28EEC5F779D9.jpeg
    Thanks for the tip and assurance.
    They are (for the most part) rare vehicles.
    I went to Hershey Pennsylvania and only one guy had anything to do with these types of vehicles and that was just a grease cap.
    Looking everywhere and anywhere you can for things because some antiques can take a life time to fix.
    Here are the vehicles I have. Will hopefully drive and fully restore the grey one this year.

4. komokwa

R U sure you're only 26 ?
    ;)...:playful:..:woot::woot::woot:

5. NickRobin

Yes. I know it seems like I know a lot, but being a guy that has never had any friends outside of maybe the one or two people I find online to talk to, I have many hours to work on research, restoration, searching for things, and learning everything and anything my autistic mind can get my hands on.
    I have met people that have shook hands with MR. Henry Ford, talked to hitler, went to jimmy carters birthday part in the 70s (I have the birthday invitation card), watched babe Ruth at his last game sitting down before his death ( have a reel of film of it in a draw in the office), given me a clock that is believed to be from the family of the violinist on the titanic ( since he died on the voyage he could not be presented with the clock, but could be another person with his family name), and many other things I can’t think off the top of my head at this moment. 26 is just the start. I hope to end at 100+.
    Sorry for the long message.
    Also any distance will do for parts. If they are good and they are something that I can use then I will snatch them up in a heartbeat. You don’t see cloisonné car badges like you used to.

Born2it, kyratango, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  6. komokwa

Autism won't stop you from finding friends here..........
    We take all comers.....!!!

Oh...& while you seem to have met a range of interesting folks......I'm thinking that you may end up being more interesting ..... than the lot of them !!

Good luck finding what you need !!

7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

One learns the oddest things here. I had never heard of REO motor company before. Can I assume this company is responsible for the name of the 70’s band, REO Speedwagon?

kyratango likes this.
  8. NickRobin

I am not sure how the band got the name, but they could have taken it from the vehicle company. Since the company was made more than 50 years before the band was even thought of. The vehicles that I have they only made the bodies (Murray) for 2 years and the factory that made them went bankrupt around the start of the 40s. The vehicles where made using airplane technology and ran faster than any Ford at the time. While a Ford could drive at 60-70 and over heat, a REO could drive up to 80-90 before over heating. If you look it up, you will find that the 1930-31 model was used in the film production of a scene in the movie “Indiana jones and the temple of doom” by “Lao Che” the Chinese mob boss. It was the chase scene right before they get on the plane that holds the famous line “A boat? We’re not sinking, we’re crashing!”.
    It is hard to find parts for something like this (most of the parts where hand made), hopefully it will be fully restored within the next 5 years and will be driving as fine as it it looks in the movie.
    4A2FA8A3-B3EC-4F45-BF1C-B25DD4F7B266.jpeg

9. komokwa

a real labor....of love !!!!:happy:

kyratango likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Here's what Wikipedia says about the band's name:

"They named the band REO Speedwagon, from the REO Speed Wagon, a 1915 truck that was designed by Ransom Eli Olds. Doughty had seen the name written across the blackboard when he walked into his History of Transportation class on the very first day they had decided to look for a name. Rather than pronouncing REO as a single word as the motor company did, they chose to spell out the name with the individual letters each pronounced ("R-E-O"). "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REO_Speedwagon

11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:woot::woot::woot:FANTASTIC WORK!!!!

komokwa likes this.
  12. NickRobin

Yeah, that’s I big reason why google is harder for this kind of searching. To many speed wagon results kept popping up. You try REO in a search online and you get too many Diamond Ts and Speedwagons clogging up the pages.
    Just the badge on the grill went online for $300+ in bidding.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That was your sale? If so, congratulations!

14. NickRobin

No, that was not my sale.
    I only wish I could have outbid the guy that bought it. Time ran out on the eBay listing. They are so rare that there are only a handful left in the world. People have collections of them just to preserve them as some of the vehicles over the years have either fallen into disrepair, parted to fix others in need of parts, crashed and salvaged, and even chopped up for hot rod nightmares.
    I am thinking about even buying one of the broken hood ornaments, fixing it up and making a new casting for it. I built up a lot of silver( from estate sales, garage sales, ect) in the past few years so hopefully I have enough.
    I am always looking for parts that might help as if anything goes bad on vehicles like this, you can’t just go out and buy the pieces. While I repair the parts that break the extras are used to keep them running.

cmdv and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted