Featured Marking on mexican bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Jan 25, 2019.

1. reader

reader Well-Known Member

The lack of an eagle stamp signifies early work prior to the government’s requirement of the eagle stamp in 1948 and many collectors like that period of earlier Mexican silver that was more traditional artistically but continues on to the present so the lack of that stamp shows this to be a vintage 40s piece at the latest and true to its period rather than a later piece done in the old style which is fine too but would probably not be wanted by a period collector.

https://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

@reader - Thank you for the explanation and link.

3. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

ouch, that's a painful jewelry loss! Pineda pieces I've seen pictures of are so beautiful and bold! What my dream collection would consist of (if they weren't so expensive!!) are lots of enamel necklaces by Margot de Taxco- I pine after ebay listings daily haha!
    thanks for the warning- I'll be keeping an eye on the clasp (of all my bracelets for that matter!)!

4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

It really was a painful loss but may it be the worst thing any of us ever experience! I don’t own any Margot anymore but would prob spring for a snake necklace if I ever trip over one at a reasonable price. The enamels are beautiful but fragile so I’d advise against bracelets.

5. Kimbert

bracelets do always seem vulnerable to getting banged about and caught up in jacket sleeves, it makes me nervous! So no to enamel bracelets, I'll probably never justify the price of a necklace, but I could see myself springing for a pair of earrings... the earlobes are much safer for fragile things than the wrists! The snake style necklaces Ive looked up are incredible!

kyratango, judy and reader like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My favourites are the Spratling pre-Columbian pieces, but I own none. I just have a Spratling design pre-Columbian bracelet, made by someone who once worked for Spratling. I have had it since my 15th birthday, and still love it.
    I have some Pedro Castillo pieces, but the others are mostly by makers I can't find, like Kimbert's.

kyratango, Kimbert and judy like this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think it’s really tough to find the masters anymore at a price. It’s all gotten ridiculous IMO.I’m thrilled to have 2 pieces of WS-I have the preColumbian bird pin/pendant (I wear mine on a vintage Mexican silver wire)and the mask bracelet. That’s fabulous that you’ve had that bracelet since you were a girl AJ.Was it brought back from Mexico? His studio employed the best so the fact that it wasn’t made by him only matters in value not quality.

All I wear is silver. Never been a gold person other than my wedding bands.

Kimbert and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Yes, we were in Taxco just before my birthday.:) The man who made it was a very interesting elderly gentleman. We had a very nice conversation with him about pre-Columbian civilisations and things not related to jewellery at all. The way it goes sometimes. I felt foolish afterwards that I didn't make a note of his name. Ah well, I was still 14 (before my birthday), and dazzled by the bracelet.

This is the design, except this one is an original Spratling. Mine looks exactly the same, minus Spratling mark of course:

[​IMG]

kyratango, Aquitaine and Kimbert like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE ❤️

Kimbert and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Kimbert

@Any Jewelry It's an amazing striking bracelet! And how cool that you spoke with the man who made it and have had it since you were a teen- it must be a special piece for you! Side note- Taxco looks incredible, I would really love to visit is at some point!!
    @reader the prices really seem through the roof, if they were once lower, I really wish I'd been on the collecting bandwagon back then! But I'm lucky that nice pieces exist that are unmarked or unknown (as are all my pieces) Some of the things I've bought, the quality is meh but a couple things I have are truly great quality imo!
    Silver is fantastic- I also enjoy wearing it more than than gold. I mean gold is lovely, but gold jewelry is usually so much more delicate in style. you can't pull off the same boldness of style without it firstly costing a fortune and also looking a little ostentatious maybe! With silver, it just looks right and is perfect for that

I wish everyone here had a virtual museum of your collections so I could look at your stuff!:hilarious:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  11. Any Jewelry

It certainly is. It was my 'signature bracelet' for a long time, even wore it to school. This was before prices went through the roof, of course.
    I still wear it, with a pair of 50s Pedro Castillo earrings which are sort of the same style (ish), and a chunky ring with a Maya head carved from amethyst. The ring is Taxco, but a different style, but who cares.:cool:

judy, kyratango and reader like this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I bet I’d love that ring too but that’s just the kind of piece I’d avoid as I know I’d break it. I recently fell in love w an outstanding (IMO) fire orange huge Mexican opal but it was expensive and I knew I’d smash it probably sooner over later so I passed.

I’m pretty sallow and have never particularly liked the way gold looks on me but beside that, I also like big chunky jewelry and big chunky gold looks ostentatious to me too and probably dangerous to wear in this day and age beside being crazy expensive. Big chunky silver jewelry is just a look as scrap value is so low.

I agree that there are wonderful unknown Mexican silversmiths that can be bought at very affordable prices.

Happy Hunting All!

13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry
    That piece looks like it is die struck and hollow,is yours hollow also?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Mine is solid, and heavy. A nice chunk of silver.:)

judy, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

The Maya head has a helmet, a bit like a Brutalist style eagle helmet, if that makes sense. It protects it a bit. But I am clumsy as well, and only wear rings and bracelets when I go out. I have become an earring person now.:playful:
    Pink gold would probably look good on you.

Kimbert and judy like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I managed to take a photo of 'his Mayan majesty'.;) As you can see, a totally different style from the bracelet, but that has never bothered me:
    upload_2019-1-27_11-49-39.jpeg

reader, Kimbert and judy like this.
  17. Kimbert

wowie that is gorgeous! (I really love amethyst so much) !! I like that the helmet ends up having the same function as it would on a real life head- keep the stone safe!!
    I'm all for mixing and matching (I wear totally unrelated pieces all the time) This and the bracelet together I'm sure look striking!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted