Featured More Ebay goodies

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

KSW and Ownedbybear like this.
  2. Aquitaine

I went with the bracelet AND the Brooch (Brooch first!):):)

3. Aquitaine

Mom had a pair of Sterling earrings (not colored) like the fish! and then about a 7" long Sterling fish like that too.....whatever you did with THAT besides look at it!!!!!! NICE batch!!!!!!!

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

All I know about jade is that it’s really cold to the touch and it has a sort of fibrous texture when looked at with a loupe. There’s a lot of dyed stuff about too, bit of a minefield really.

KSW likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Peggy, those are trombone clasps, so the brooches are probably French or thereabouts.

Filigran, indeed. I've some nice pieces from Ohrid in Macedonia.

Ruth, I'll find something to go on the MOP one, I have SO many harvest bits!

@Any Jewelry - what do you reckon on the origin of the huge squarish filigree one?

Any Jewelry, bercrystal and KSW like this.
  6. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

Nice! Love old coins and odd ball things, well...and of course gold, silver and jade.

7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I am familiar with trombone clasps but most of the ones I have seen have the tube-like portion rather than the C clasp. Does the flower one also have a trombone clasp also?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the squarish filigree pin had bad damage and a worse repair job.

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Fortunately the repair is on the back so it’s still beautiful. I think filigree Jewellery is a little work of art, it must be very difficult to repair seamlessly.

10. Ownedbybear

I'm not sure it's a repair, it's odd - there's nothing that looks like the remains of damage. It's more as though it was when the original foldover was done. It's late 19th, so who knows!

Peggy, it's the two flower basket brooches that are trombone?

bercrystal likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I always think of those European filigree flowers with long stamens as Italian, but best to keep that a working title for now.;)
    The brooch is very unusual. It looks like a Biedermeier bouquet with an enormous bow, which has been laid out in a square. It may have had perfectly round ball dangles on the rings on the ends of the ribbon, also an Italian filigree thing.
    Maybe it was once worn with an Italian regional dress?

(of course I am imagining how it would look with round coral beads instead of silver dangles. :rolleyes::playful:)

bercrystal likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

It's an odd thing, isn't it. I can't see where dangles might have gone, the ends are sort of folded over and tucked in under that "daisy" shape on the back. Love the idea of coral on it.

13. Any Jewelry

The ringlets at the bottom of the photo :)

[​IMG]

:smug:;)

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

AHA! Gotcha. They'd look very fine with teardrop coral.

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Agree. On the other hand, round beads would be more in keeping with filigree folk jewellery. But it is yours, and you can make it as pretty as you like.:)

16. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

My sis bought me a very similar articulated fish a number of years ago. The one she purchased me was about 3" long and was new at the time. I'd have to actually look at mine to make any comparisons.

Cool finds!
    Leslie

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted