Featured Most Amazing PORCELAIN STAPLE REPAIR To Quimper Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Oct 23, 2022.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share this awesome Quimper plate with NINE staple repairs!

staple4.jpg staple2.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 11 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There's someone who knew what they were doing!

judy, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Someone really loved that plate!!

judy, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  4. SandyPearl

SandyPearl Member

Speaking of staples, I love my Frankenstein picture! 3966F90F-75D0-4367-9C54-923F91519176.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @SandyPearl & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

If you search the forum for "staple repair" you will find that many of us here are very enamored with this type of repair.

Check out this article with a video of a man in China who was still doing this type of repair. It was posted by a very cherished member @wiscbirddog. :happy::happy::happy: :kiss::kiss:

https://www.lakesidepottery.com/Pag...ottery-with-metal-staples-ancient-method.html

Is the bowl & pitcher a family piece or just a piece you acquired? :):)

judy, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  6. SandyPearl

SandyPearl Member

I picked it up recently at an estate sale. It had Belonged to the grandmother of the woman that passed away. No one wanted it because it was damaged and I thought it was amazing. She clearly cherished it as it was prominently displayed. I was wondering how long ago they quit doing this type of repair, it seems the repair itself is an antique.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

If I recall correctly, I believe I've read that staple repairs were still being used some places into the 1950s or 60s.

bercrystal, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love period repairs, they combine a personal aspect with craftspersonship.
    I have a few bronze items that were repaired in the 19th century. Treasured by the first owners, and treasured by me.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, sis. Thanks for posting the thread, I may post one of my bronze bowls.:kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted