Featured Northwood EAPG Royal Oak Rubina Syrup\Molasses Can

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 3, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Very interesting. The inside bottom of my piece is clear. Mayne the frosting worn away from warm paraffin?

2. KikoBlueEyes

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Maybe getting a little wrapped around the axle on this? It's a syrup/molasses pourer, not for wax or lamp oil. It's a table item. The 2nd piece shown is a sugar shaker for dusting your pastries. The bottom would likely have been clear from the start. Makers didn't frost the bottom since it didn't show and wasn't really necessary.

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

You are right. I am a child wandering in a forest of delight around here. Thanks so much for your clarification.

i need help likes this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

If you want to see lots of items in this pattern, esp. look at Photo #6 which has an assortment. And it shows a salt shaker next to a sugar shaker. Large holes in sugar shaker and smaller item with smaller holes in salt shaker.

https://www.eapgs.net/pattern-details.php?idx=632

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oh well that puts an entirely different spin on it! If you're having fun, go for it, just don't confuse yourself too much in the process. When I first became aware of antique / vintage glass, I could lose myself for hours looking at pictures, both on the net and in books or catalogs. Like I was the first one to discover such beauties.

Not so good for resale since I tended to put a lot more value on items I really loved myself. Had to learn perspective in order to sell successfully. "Ugly" things sometimes sell too, LOL!

SBSVC, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Great link. Very helpful for people like me, who admire glass from the past. I picked this up to learn about it. Not because I recognized it as anything special. That's why I appreciate the help I get here, because I might someday actually recognize something.

i need help likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Just how I feel now. I've had to start selling off some things to make room for others, but only in a very limited way. I buy to learn. It's too much fun.

i need help likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

i need help likes this.
  12. ritzyvintage

Sugar shaker, however, a Farmers Finger lamp also seems to be a possibility.

i need help likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I know the answer to this one, since I have a collection of old oil lamps. The collar may be similar, but none have a pour spout. I didn't show it well, but there is an obvious place on the collar where the lid attached - sorry. These are very nice though.

i need help likes this.
  14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Glassmakers were known for using the same shape / mold in different ways. The syrup with a slightly different applied handle and an added lamp fixture would make a nice miniature lamp, for sure.

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

KikoBlueEyes and ritzyvintage like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Fantastic insight. I see what you mean. The one I have has a high handle, but on the lamps it is lower to protect the hand from the heat of the flame.

i need help likes this.
  17. ritzyvintage

Indeed. A lot easier (and less expensive) to produce a different metal mount to adapt the glass, than to produce another mould.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

nice find and great photos... one minor clarification is this was called satin rubina as the pattern was also offered is glossy rubina. Heacock has the YOP of c1889.

19. KikoBlueEyes

Don Thanks for weighing in. Your comment on the differentiation between glossy and satin is so helpful. I love such details as this. So Heacock is definitive about the date being 1889. I am so pleased with that exactitude, rather than a broader term or information from sellers who may or not be informed.

i need help likes this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

That makes sense. The handle was obviously applied afterwards and not of the same colors and treatment.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted