Featured Northwood EAPG Royal Oak Rubina Syrup\Molasses Can

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 3, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

INH Thanks so much for this. No handle on this one. I used to have a small hand held and a small finger oil lamp - both plain and undistinguished. I redonated them when I moved into my house 23 years ago. But your example goes to show what this maker did.

i need help likes this.
  2. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

You can also often date a piece by its handle. Early methods of attaching it involved starting at the top of the vessel/jug/pitcher etc., and scrolling/tooling the handle downwards, but later methods favour working from the mid-section to the top...

This link is interesting:

BBC Four - Handmade, Glass, Getting a handle on the jug is the hardest part

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

I love that video. It was so intimate. My piece has a slightly off kilter handle.

IMG_9008.jpg

i need help likes this.
  4. ritzyvintage

I did notice it too... The handle upon your piece tells me a lot about how it was produced. The temperature & fluidity of the molten glass is crucial, as you want gravity to assist with the formation rather than using tools. You can see where the glassworker tried to avoid the moulded pattern of your piece, hence it being slightly 'wonky.'

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. ritzyvintage

here is a typical example of the one same mould being used to produce two different items. The amber glass example had its top folded downwards after it was released from its mould. They are both Equinox pattern vases by Bagley, England... Also, most moulded glass figurines are released from their mould in a vertical/upright position and only then are they tooled to lean over slightly if required. Glass fish in particular will tend to be different due to their fins & tails having been tooled by different glass-workers.
    [​IMG]

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Lovely information. Not that you mention it I can see how the narrowing towards the top would make this difficult when you are handling how glass. Thank you.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Nice example. I have been to several glass making studios in my travels to see demonstrations of the art. It was always fascinating to watch. Usually just simple things though.

ritzyvintage likes this.
  8. ritzyvintage

I was a glass blower myself here in England. Mainly lamp-work using borosilicate glass.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Aha. Now I understand your fascination with glass. Can you show us some of your work?

10. ritzyvintage

:( regrettably, from the many items I produced and sold, I only have one single piece, a small (uncoloured) scent bottle & stopper. Most of my work was Art Nouveau in style with iridescence. I also produced life-size glass Bonsai which I exported to Japan.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Handle applied when the piece was hot, not after it cooled, that would shatter it. Just different glass, not with rose tint, probably covered with resist to keep from being frosted.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

That is sad. Perhaps, you will see something come up for sale.

13. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for your clarification. So much to learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted